Last Chance to Register for May 18 Decoding Workshop with Dr. Daphne Greenberg!

Hi Everyone!

Do your students struggle to decode words?  Imagine the brain power they use to make meaning of several words in a sentence. The more effort they use in decoding, the less there is available for making sense of vocabulary, reading fast enough to make meaning, and understanding an author's ideas. 

On May 13 and 18 from 2 to 4 PM ET, we will have the opportunity to participate in two live events with Dr. Daphne Greenberg and her CSAL colleagues Devi Rodgerson, Christine Dunagin Miller, and Inga Einarson .  They will demonstrate a number of decoding and spelling instructional strategies. You will learn different tools for teaching letter-sound relationships, including tricky sounds and vowel combinations, two different approaches to decomposing multisyllabic words, and an organizational framework that can help our adult learners read unfamiliar words in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner.

It's not too late to register for the event! Please register for both as they cover different material on build on each other:

Please register here for Session 1 on May 13 from 2 to 4 PM EDT.

Please register here for Session 2 on May 18 from 2 to 4 PM EDT. 

Please think about the following questions as we prepare for this discussion:

What techniques do you currently use to teach decoding skills to your students?

What decoding resources are you using?

What questions about decoding do you have for Dr. Greenberg and her team?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these questions!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community

Comments

Hi Everyone,

The second free webinar on Decoding Instructional Strategies is on Tuesday May 18 from 2 to 4 PM EDT. Dr. Daphne Greenberg, Christine Miller, Inga Einarson, and Devi Rodgerson from the Center for the Study of Adult Literacy will demonstrate a number of decoding and spelling instructional strategies.

You will learn different tools for teaching letter-sound relationships, including tricky sounds and vowel combinations, two different approaches to decomposing multisyllabic words, and an organizational framework that can help our adult learners read unfamiliar words in an independent, flexible, and efficient manner.

Even if you missed Part 1, you can still register for, attend, and learn from Part 2! Please register HERE.

See you tomorrow at 2 PM EDT,

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing Community

Hi Beth,

Unfortunately, due to organizational restrictions, the handouts are only available to those who attended the session. However, I encourage you and others to check out: http://csal.gsu.edu/ for lots of interesting information that you may find useful. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to email me at: dgreenberg@gsu.edu. In addition, we often give presentations at conferences, so I hope that you can join us in the future.

Daphne 

Daphne Greenberg

Georgia State University

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks to all those who were able to attend the Decoding Instructional Strategies live events on May 13 and 18!

For those who attended the event(s), please consider your teaching practice and reflect. What is something in the webinars that:

1. Reinforced something good that I already am doing?

2. Reminded me of something I used to do and will try again?

3. Gave me a new idea that I plan to try?

Thanks so much for participating in the live events and contributing your thoughts!

Steve Schmidt, Moderator

LINCS Reading and Writing CoP