Graphic Novels in the Adult Education Classroom

-

This live Zoom session will take place on April 19 from 1 to 2 PM ET. Registration is required which can be done here

Heard of graphic novels but not sure what they are or how to use them? Join us to consider ways to integrate using graphic novels in adult education classrooms, and come away with actionable knowledge and resources to help improve your students reading and critical thinking skills.

Comments

I don't use graphic novels per se, but I do use graphic literature to convey key points about the Naturalization process in multi-level EL classrooms. 

The Federal Trade Commission has an awesome series of free, downloadable fotonovelas in English and Spanish about avoiding common scams, especially Notario Scams (EN / SP).  I also appreciate the study guides from We Speak NYC, especially the study guide for Sonam's Mom, which also deals with immigration issues.  I also use Miguel's Naturalization Interview from CLINIC which I think gives the most clearest account of what actually happens during the USCIS Naturalization Interview.   

I would love to use the civics/health graphic novels from the Center of Cartoon Studies, but they language is a bit too advanced for my intermediate EL learners.  I, however, bought print copies and enjoyed them thoroughly.  (Full disclosure: I am a long-time reader of graphic literature).

On the teacher's side, has anyone ever used "Chalk Talk" by Norma Shapiro or "Action English Pictures" by Maxine Frauman-Prickel?   Basically, students write in response to a sequence to simple drawings.  These exercises really help EL students transition from writing simple single sentences to writing multi-paragraph stories.  Recommended.

Thanks, Steve and Jennifer!

I'm used some of the Penguin graphic novels for high level ESL students to expose them to relevant and high interest classics, but have not used graphic novels or many fotonovelas.  Fabulous!  I look forward to the webinar and thank you, Jennifer, for getting the ball rolling and sharing such great resources!!!