The U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) is seeking peer reviewers for two upcoming discretionary grant competitions authorized under the Strengthening Career and Technical Education Act for the 21st Century (Perkins V or the Act):
- Native American Career and Technical Education Program (NACTEP) – NACTEP provides grants to improve career and technical education (CTE) programs that are consistent with the purposes of Perkins V and that benefit Native Americans and Alaska Native.
- Native Hawaiian Career and Technical Education Program (NHCTEP) – NHCTEP provides grants to eligible community-based organizations to plan, conduct, and administer programs, or portions of programs, that are for the benefit of Native Hawaiians.
Scope of the Work
Peer reviewers will independently read, score, and provide written analysis of grant applications (typically 8 grant applications). Peer reviewers will then participate in small group panel discussions to make consensus recommendations on those grant applications for funding.
Background and Experience of Peer Reviewers
Peer reviewers are sought from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels, with priority given to individuals with relevant and demonstrated knowledge and experience having:
- Worked in Native American and Alaska Native and/or Native Hawaiian serving institutions or organizations, rural areas, and tribal communities.
- Led or overseen program innovation, scaling of effective practices, and program dissemination.
- Taught or designed educational and training programs using distance and/or virtual learning.
- Served as a peer reviewer for an ED or Department of Labor grant competition.
- Recently served as a project director or staff person on another ED grant.
Instructions to Apply to Become a Peer Reviewer
- To be considered, please send a copy of your resume (maximum of 5 pages) to NACTEP@ed.gov no later than Dec. 1, 2020.
- If you are selected by OCTAE to participate, you must also register and submit your resume in G5 (www.g5.gov), though you may initiate this step now. If you need additional help, you may contact the G5 help desk at email@example.com or call 1-888-336-8930. G5 requires you to submit your resume in a PDF format only.
- When the G5 system prompts you for your areas of specialization, select all that are applicable to you.
Please note that submitting your resume and/or registering in G5 does not guarantee that you will be selected as a reviewer.
Peer Reviewer Selection
Individuals who are selected to participate as a reviewer will be contacted by the OCTAE team or its contractor and asked for additional contact information, availability, and potential conflicts of interest. Those who are not selected may be considered by our office as a peer reviewer for a future competition.
ED solicits reviewers without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability. ED will provide reasonable accommodations for an individual with a disability so that the individual is able to participate in the review process.
For more information about current OCTAE and ED programs, please visit https://cte.ed.gov/grants/funding-opportunities.