Week October 28, 2013: Program Management Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
As we close out Connected Educator Month (CEM) this week, we’d like to get to know more about what you’ve learned from the 240+ events hosted by CEM throughout the month of October. Visit this discussion in the Technology and Learning group and share your key takeaways and next steps for technology application in your program or classroom! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/connected-educator-month-adult-education-connection.
Take Action This Month. Invite a Colleague!
Take action to celebrate CEM and help your colleagues get connected to the LINCS Community. On the right hand side of the main groups page (https://community.lincs.ed.gov/groups) is an “Invite a colleague” section. Enter their email address to send them an invitation to get connected to this network of adult education practitioners. Send out an invitation today!
New Group Discussions
- Academic Dishonesty: A recent article in Inside Higher Ed, ‘Cheating Lessons’ discusses causes of academic dishonesty. How do you approach academic dishonesty in your program/class? Join the conversation on academic dishonesty and share your thoughts here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/academic-dishonesty
- Are Portfolios on the Rise? From your experience, are employers asking your students to show them what they can do or primarily interested in your student credentials (HSE, certificates, college courses, degrees)? Are you using online portfolios to help students shine in their employment applications or interviews? Share your experiences or questions about how to build the use of portfolios into your program/classroom: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/are-portfolios-rise
- ESL vs. ESOL vs. ELD: How is your adult education program calling your English language instruction classes/program? Respond to a member question here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/esl-vs-esol-vs-eld
New Group Bulletins
- American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) 2013 Conference – LINCS will be at the AAACE Conference from November 5-8, 2013. The theme for this year’s conference is “Building Sustainable Futures Through Learning and Partnerships”. To learn more, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/american-association-adult-and-continuing-education-aaace-2013-conference
- Register Today! PIAAC, What Now? Live Webcast – Learn more about the Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC) survey, what the findings may mean for your program, and what to anticipate going forward. Join the National Coalition for Literacy in a live webcast on November 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM Eastern. View this bulletin for more information: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/register-today-piaac-what-now-live-webcast
Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/259/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Update on PIAAC – On October 8, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) released the OECD Skills Outlook 2013: First Results from the Survey of Adult Skills. Find out more about how to access the web hub for reports, resources, events, and press links for the report here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/update-piaac
- Changes to Formative Assessment Group – We have heard your feedback that the Formative Assessment group’s name may be limiting to conversations taking place within the group and are pleased to announce that the group will be changed to “Assessment”. View the official announcement and join us in welcoming the Assessment group subject matter expert, Dr. Susan Finn Miller here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/changes-formative-assessment-group
- Learn with LINCS: New Online Science Course Available – The second LINCS science course, Scientific Practices in Context: Curricular Planning and Lesson Development, builds upon the first LINCS science course and provides an introduction to teaching science in context and guidance on where teachers can find credible science resources. The course is now available on the LINCS Learning Portal. For more information, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/learn-lincs-new-online-science-course-available
- Happy Connected Educator Month– Join the Events! October is Connected Educator Month, find out about how you sign up to receive updates about CEM events, contests, and resources, and participate in the events: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/happy-connected-educator-month%E2%80%94join-events
New to the Program Management group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-2
See you in the Program Management group!
The LINCS Community Team