Week September 30, 2013: Program Management Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Happy Connected Educator Month!
October is Connected Educator Month (CEM)! As a member of the LINCS Community, you are already a connected educator! In celebration of the U.S. Department of Education sponsored CEM, the Technology and Learning group is hosting a month long discussion that provides a platform for community members to share what they have learned from the 240+ events hosted by CEM throughout the month of October. Visit this discussion thread in the Technology and Learning group here to get started: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/connected-educator-month-adult-education-connection. The thread is also being cross-posted to the Evidence-based Professional Development and Program Management groups.
We hope that you will join in on sharing what you’ve learned!
Take Action This Month. Invite a Colleague!
Take action to celebrate CEM and help your colleagues get connected to the LINCS Community. On the right hand side of the main groups page (https://community.lincs.ed.gov/groups) is an “Invite a colleague” section. Enter their email address to send them an invitation to get connected to this network of adult education practitioners. Send out an invitation today!
- LINCS Resource – Supporting the Use of Data Through Professional Development: In preparation for the upcoming release of the PIAAC data and reports this month, Gail Cope, the Program Management subject matter expert, is sharing a publication that can be found in the LINCS Resource Collection: Supporting the Use of Data Through Professional Development. How are you using data to enhance professional development in your state or program? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/lincs-resource-supporting-use-data-through-professional-development
- Adult Student Motivation – The Learning Environment: The third installation of the three-part webinar series on Supporting Adult Student Motivation sponsored by the LINCS Regional Professional Development Center Region 2 and facilitated by Cris Smith was on the topic of The Adult Learning Environment. Reflect on the highlights of this third webinar in this summary thread: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/adult-student-motivation-learning-environment
- Spotlight on Quality - *Featured Resource: Adult College Completion Toolkit*: The Postsecondary Completion group highlighted the Adult College Completion Toolkit resource in celebration of National Adult and Family Literacy (NAEFL) week. This thread focuses on Quality. What does “quality” mean for adult education programs aiming to prepare students for success in postsecondary education? Share your thoughts here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/spotlight-quality-featured-resource-adult-college-completion-toolkit
- Take the Literacy Week Challenge! For NAEFL week, World Education, Inc. created fun mini-quizzes on topics in adult education. These topics include: Family Literacy, GED, and Citizenship. Take a moment this week to test your knowledge here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/take-literacy-week-challenge
- Is Starting College and Not Finishing Really That Bad? The Hamilton Project at The Brookings Institute recently published a study Is Starting College and Not Finishing Really That Bad? Read the study and share your thoughts here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/starting-college-and-not-finishing-really-bad
New Group Bulletins
- Connected Educator Month – October 2013: Participate in this year’s Connected Educator Month! Find out more information on innovative professional development and networking opportunities that take place throughout October here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/connected-educator-month-october-2013
Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/259/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Happy Connected Educator Month– Join the Events! October is Connected Educator Month, find out about how you sign up to receive updates about CEM events, contests, and resources, and participate in the events: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/happy-connected-educator-month%E2%80%94join-events
- Register Now! LINCS Community User Training – In honor of Connected Educator Month, Kratos Learning is hosting a live LINCS Community User Training on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 from 2-3pm Eastern. This webinar is a great opportunity to talk directly to the LINCS Community team and ask any questions you may have about the community’s purpose and features! For information on how to register for this webinar, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/register-now-lincs-community-user-training
- National Adult Education and Family Literacy (NAEFL) Week Resource Discussions – In celebration of NAEFL week, select groups in the LINCS Community participated in a coordinated effort to highlight key resources in the LINCS Resource Collection. We encourage group members to continue the conversation beyond September. To access the archived discussions about these resources, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/national-adult-education-and-family-literacy-week-resource-discussions-start-today
New to the Program Management group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-2
See you in the Program Management group!
The LINCS Community Team