Rehabilitation Services Administration Scholarships for Working with Persons with Disabilities

If you are considering finding new ways to work directly with persons with disabilities, you may be interested in the U.S. Department of Education's Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) Scholarships.  These RSA awards to colleges and universities provide scholarship assistance to learners interested in the following rehabilitation-related fields:
  • Rehabilitation Counseling—Master’s Program
  • Rehabilitation Administration
  • Rehabilitation Technology
  • Vocational Evaluation and Work Adjustment
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Mentally Ill
  • Rehabilitation Psychology
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Blind or Have Low Vision
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
  • Interpreters for Deaf Individuals 
  • Job Development and Job Placement Services to Individuals with Disabilities

Learners who receive scholarships under this program are required to work (at full pay) within the public rehabilitation program, such as with a state vocational rehabilitation agency, or an agency or organization that has a service arrangement with a state vocational rehabilitation. Scholarship recipients are expected to work two years in such settings for every year of full-time scholarship.  Scholarship requirements should be discussed with the college or university prior to application.  Learners interested in seeking scholarships should contact the director of the grant in which they are interested.  A complete list of colleges and universities offering scholarship funding are available here.

As the former recipient of an RSA scholarship, I am happy to share my experience with those who may be interested, or have questions.  Feel free to post your questions to the community, or email me directly at

Mike Cruse

Disabilities in Adult Education Moderator