A Webinar Series on Teaching Academic Writing to Adult English Learners
with Rebeca Fernandez, Joy Kreeft Peyton and Kirsten Schaetzel
Under WIOA, academic and professional writing is increasingly important for transitioning adult English learners to postsecondary training and for careers that pay family-sustaining wages.The webinar series will kick off with a 90-minute webinar on Friday, March 2nd from 1:00-2:30pm (ET) that examines the results of a survey describing the place and characteristics of teaching academic writing in classes and provides an overview of instructional approaches that teachers can use.
Join these experts on March 5, 6 and 7 as they lead a follow up discussion in the English Language Acquisition, Teaching & Learning and Reading & Writing Groups.
Register for the English Language Acquisition Group to join the conversation:
Register at this link for the March 2 webinar today! <https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6126310953632016642>
The webinar series will continue in April (dates TBD) with each guest presenting a webinar and follow up online discussion focused on practical approaches to teaching academic writing to English learners.
- Rebeca Fernandez: Using Writing as the Basis for Reading
- Joy Kreeft Peyton: Using Graphic Organizers to Develop Academic Writing Skills
- Kirsten Schaetzel: Using Writing Test Sample Questions (e.g., from the GED, HiSET, TASC) to Develop Academic Writing Skills
If you are interested in related material, check out the following resources in the LINCS Resource Collection:
- Developing Writers: An Eight Part Professional Development Workshop 2004 <https://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development/resource-collections/profile-343>
- Writing Next: Effective Strategies to Improve Writing of Adolescents in Middle and High Schools <https://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development/resource-collections/profile-449>
- Writing to Read: Evidence for how Writing Can Improve Reading <https://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development/resource-collections/profile-432>
- Excellence in Adult Literacy (TEAL) Just Write! Guide <https://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development/resource-collections/profile-419>