4 Steps for Powerful Distance-Learning

Hello colleagues, Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey have written an article on Smart Brief which outlines some valuable ways for us to think about planning our virtual classrooms. 

I found many worthwhile ideas in this brief including the following thoughts the authors draw from Cornelius-White (2007) about one of the steps, i.e., "developing growth-producing relationships with students."

• "Teacher empathy: understanding students’ experiences, interests, values, and goals
  • Unconditional positive regard: warmth in interactions and feedback
  • Genuineness: the teacher’s ability to be authentic and honest with students
  • Non-directivity: student-initiated and student-regulated activities that are supported by the teacher
  • Encouragement of critical thinking: focusing on students’ thinking as opposed to traditional memory emphasis"

Another one of the steps the authors discuss is the establishment of routines -- which I consider to be even more important in a virtual class than in a face-to-face classroom. 

You are invited to discuss these ideas and share how you are building relationships with learners as well as how you are structuring routines in your virtual classroom.

Take care, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP