Teaching Women to Write

Last week I received an issue of Women's Perspectives, A Journal of Writing and Art by Adult Learners, The Hero's Journey:  First Steps.  In this issue, published by welearnwomen.org, it is stated, "we celebrate students’ voices of strength and contribution. As students, we need to have a look at what we DO have rather than what we don’t have. We DO have an important point of view. We ARE already making contributions to society, and they will become stronger with more education."  You can access this publication here:  Women's Perspectives.

As I read several of the pieces, some by incarcerated women, I thought about the possibility of  different approaches to teaching writing to women, compared to teaching writing to men.  I have found women to be passionate about furthering their education so they can financially support their children and  provide more opportunities for their sons and daughters; the desire to be able to "take care of myself.".. Beginning with narrative writing may motivate women more than informative or argument writing.

Do you approach writing instruction differently with your female students?  What instructional strategies do you use?  Do you use models of women writers?

My quote for the day is by Deborah Shaw (Community College of Vermont) when teaching a women's literature course, "I want my students to be aware of how integral women's voices are to the human experience."

Please share your thoughts!

Jeri

Comments

Hi Jeri, 

One of my favorite books is I Couldn't Keep It To MySelf, Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Center.  The author, Wally Lamb, taught writing to justice involved women and this book is a collection of their stories. I think teaching students to write through telling their stories is a powerful strategy. 

I'd love to hear the experiences and thoughts of our community members. How do you use the narrative arc of an autobiography to teach writing and help students develop their voice? 
Kathy 

I work at a women's prison also.  Working at a women's prison, I definitely have experienced the difference in just teaching women to write versus women and men.  It has been exciting and challenging all mixed together.  I think one of the most challenging things that I face is making sure that the my ladies believe they have something worthwhile to share.  They feel they can't share because their voice is not important.  So while the writing is often flows  easier than with some male students, I used to work with, it is also more challenging in some ways.  They hesitate and feel unsafe in sharing after some earlier negative feedback.  We must create a safe space for them to share their writing and work hard to give them feedback that is positive and constructive.  As teachers, leaders and role models to women we must model writing skills and reinforce that their opinions are valid, important and  unique.  We must also allow them learn that writing is a process and demonstrate by class examples that to make our writings better we must redo.  I think this is the hardest part.  Building them up to use their unique voice speak, but explaining it will not be perfect.   Thanks for sharing this idea!  

Kelly,

The work you are doing with your incarcerated women is so valuable!  Providing women the opportunity and support to gain the confidence to share their thoughts and stories is powerful.  Yes, it is difficult for some to receive constructive criticism.  However, when this takes place in a safe, positive environment it is much better received.  I appreciate you, and others, who are role models for the women with whom you work.

Thank you for sharing!

Jeri