Skip to main content

Looking for Transfer of Learning Examples

Hi PD Friends,

The Texas Center for the Advancement of Literacy and Learning (TCALL) is in the process of developing a data driven, research-based Evaluation Transfer of Learning instrument for our current grant project. While we have access to Adult and Continuing Education journals, we'd like to know if there are any Adult Education programs out there that would be willing to share their instrument(s).  What has worked for you?

If you're willing to share please send them to:

Teaching academic language and critical thinking

A new article has appeared in the MinneTESOL Journal that focuses on understanding adult learners and scaffolding instruction to help students acquire the skills needed to succeed in reading and writing and to help students develop the complex thinking skills required to attain post-secondary goals.  I thought it was very interesting - and relevant for ABE or ESOL students - so wanted to share with colleagues: http://minnetesoljournal.org/spring-2014

Register Now for LINCS Math and Numeracy Group Webinar on July 29th

The presence of contaminants from polluting industries is all too common in low-income areas today, and getting a handle on the situation can be quite challenging. We want to protect the health and welfare of our families, but understanding the complexities of risk, the technical terms and the math involved in environmental data reports is not always easy. Join us as we take a deep dive into the tools, lessons plans, and resources available to empower your adult learners with environmental literacy.

Free Online Course on United English Braille

Hi group members,

The Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (RIDBC) Renwick Centre in Australia has announced the launch of its first online training course in Unified English Braille (UEB), entitled "UEB Online for Sighted Learners."

undergraduate classes/degrees in adult literacy

I'm wondering if anyone here in the group knows of undergraduate classes in  adult literacy. I know that Texas A&M has an undergraduate class in adult education and literacy within its Training & Development concentration. NYU has an undergraduate class entitled Literacy in Action.

Thank you!

Student Assignments and Standards

I hope that some of you can point me in the right direction.  I am looking for a protocol that matches student work to the demands of the standards.  It is an analysis to determine if the assignment is aligned to the standard, and then examines how students performed on that work.  Lastly, it provides a way to improve and enhance the lesson plus the student work.  I am aware of the one used in Standards-in-Action.  It is the third innovation called Focus On Assignments: Working Together To Improve Teaching And Learning.  I know that other procedures exist.  Where c

Getting Up to Speed with College and Career Readiness Standards

Dear Colleagues,

I have a few questions for you regarding the new College and Career Readiness (CCR) Standards for Adult Education.  As you may know, in May 2014, the U.S. Department of Education released the new CCR Standards. While optional for states, they “…are not a curriculum, and states or programs choosing to adopt them will need to complement the standards with high-quality curricula that align with the content and expectations” (p. 16).

State Professional Development in a New Era?

Dear Professional Development Colleagues,

Would you like to hear what other states have planned for professional development in 2014-2015?

As you may have heard, the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) has now passed the Senate and the House. It will replace our current legislation (the Workforce Investment Act, WIA) once the President signs it into law.

Disruptive/ transformative technology focusing on health literacy and prevention?

Hello all,

I'd be delighted to receive any suggestions you may have of examples of disruptive/transformative technologies that pay attention to the best practices of health literacy while focusing on prevention of poor health. Suggestions?

thanks,

Andrew

Want to be healthy? Participate in adult education classes!

Colleagues,

You might be interested to know that research in the U.K., a summary of which is posted on the British Psychological Society web page, suggests that participating in adult education courses promotes well being and health. http://www.bps.org.uk/news/adult-education-found-boost-wellbeing . This is a secret that should not be kept!

David J. Rosen

Djrosen123@gmail.com

Pages

Subscribe to LINCS Community RSS