Skip to main content

The Most Debatable Topic in Adult Education

This poll is being posted on behalf of Jackie Taylor as a follow up to the recent  "Most Debatable Topic" discussion: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/most-debatable-topic-adult-education

Thank you to all who proposed a topic for consideration for a community debate. While many topics proposed would make for excellent discussions (and can still be discussed!), I’ve narrowed the list of debatable topics to four.

For the first time ever, the LINCS COPs will host a debate in the Evidence-based Professional Development Group and in other groups where a topic may intersect areas. Which of the following four topics would you most like to see guests and community participants debate?

• Moving the goal posts: Are basic skills at risk when teaching to College and Career Ready Standards?
  • Is a HS equivalency really equal? (Are we holding adult students to higher standards for the HS equivalency than youth for the HS diploma?)
  • Should the National Reporting System (NRS) develop a competency-based alternative? If so, should that be in addition to the present system that relies on levels measured by standardized tests, or should it replace that system?

• Does Professional Development (PD) work? How do we know? What can make professional development work better?  How do we improve results? How do we integrate assessment as well as higher levels of evaluation into PD?

Cast your vote before Friday, June 13. The topic with the most votes will become the topic of our debate this summer.

High school equivalency tests: evaluation??

We've now been through a quarter/semester/period in which we've implemented changes in our instruction to reflect career standards and changes in high school equivalency exams.  How has your instruction changed in this period?  Have you used more OER (websites, videos) to enhance instruction?  We know that many programs have introduced a science strand for the first time.  What are the lessons learned so far?  What has been the response of students?

Susan

Using these lessons?

It has been great to read these great science lessons.  Thanks to those of you who have posted your ideas and plans.   Many people have viewed these lessons, and I wonder if others have used them in instruction.  Please let us know.

Susan

Algebra Review MOOC with humans :)

http://www.waketech.edu/introductory-algebra-review-mooc   I cruised here to see what people were doing... and unlike one whose name shall remain escaped, it does not simply link to assorted videos... the videos are teacher-made and pretty good *and* there's a "discussion" option for questions and expressions of frustration.   

A psychological aspect (internalizing problems) of literacy issues

Hello,

Much discussion in the Reading and Writing group focuses on improving our literacy instruction through addressing curricular, assessment, and instructional practices. Let's expand those parameters a bit and consider a psychological factor that some learners confront i.e., internalizing problems. We know in general that the challenges learners with learning disabilities (LD) confront in childhood and adolescence continue into adulthood.

Feedback on mock job interviews

Hello Colleagues, If you prepare adult learners for work and include job interviewing as part of the curriculum, how do you structure job interview lessons? If you include mock interviews, how do you assess students and provide them with helpful feedback?

I've sometimes used this YouTube video in my job interview lessons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY7ckMp5iZ4. Part of our lesson includes working together to generate a list of good and poor interview behaviors.

LINCS Online Course: Project-Based Science Instruction for Career Preparation

LINCS provides professional development opportunities for its members in the form of a series of optional online courses developed by the U.S.

PIAAC Results Portal

Hi all,

Another useful site for creating and viewing results of the PIAAC Survey of Adult Competencies is the NCES PIAAC Results Portal. (http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/piaac/results/makeselections.aspx)

Jayme Adelson-Goldstein to Present June 9!

Hello friends,

Mark your calendar for this special LINCS webinar on Monday, June 9 from 4:00-5:00 PM EDT! You won't want to miss this!

National Park Service Science field trips

Science teaching colleagues,

Pages

Subscribe to LINCS Community RSS