Oct. 22 | Using Graphic Organizers to Develop Academic Writing (Webinar)
Submitted by LINCS_Communications on October 8, 2018 - 10:39am
- 493 Views
- 0 Likes
Please join the LINCS Community on Monday, October 22, at 1:00pm ET for “Using Graphic Organizers to Develop Academic Writing.” This one-hour webinar and subsequent discussion will explore the use of graphic organizers to build academic writing skills with learners at all levels of English proficiency.
Dr. Joy Kreeft Peyton, Senior Fellow at the Center for Applied Linguistics, will present. After the session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the types of academic writing many English learners need to be able to do
- Discuss some of the challenges learners experience with academic writing and how teachers can effectively address these challenges
- Describe a variety of graphic organizers and how they can be used to support student writing
- Incorporate the use of graphic organizers for writing with learners at all levels, including in multilevel classes
The webinar is free to join and perfect for ESL and HSE educators, program staff, professional developers, and other adult education stakeholders. Be sure to invite your colleagues!
To participate, please join one of the LINCS Community groups hosting the session (English Language Acquisition, Reading & Writing, Teaching & Learning, Professional Development) and then register for the webinar.
Following the Webinar, join Joy and Susan Finn Miller on Tuesday the 23rd and Wednesday the 24th for an asynchronous follow-up discussion in the LINCS Community. You can participate in the discussion in any of the following groups: English Language Acquisition, Reading & Writing, Teaching & Learning, Professional Development. This is the third webinar in the Teaching Academic Writing to English Learners series, but prior participation is not required. All LINCS Community members can attend. You can catch up on the discussion in the CoP discussion groups: English Language Acquisition, Reading & Writing, Teaching & Learning, Professional Development!
If you require special accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-828-1720 ten days in advance, and we will do our best to assist you with any special requests.
Hope to see you there!
The LINCS Team
If you’re very interested in this topic and want to know more, visit the LINCS Resource Collection for relevant and freely available materials and resources, including:
- Developing Writers: An Eight Part Professional Development Workshop 2004
- Writing Next: Effective Strategies to Improve Writing of Adolescents in Middle and High Schools
- Writing to Read: Evidence for how Writing Can Improve Reading
- Teaching Excellence in Adult Literacy (TEAL) Just Write! Guide
- GEAR UP Writing Webinars - Episode 3: Paraphrasing Evidence