Tools for Student Engagement in Career Planning

Dear Youth and Adult Pathways Members...Thank you for your ongoing commitment to this topic!

I hope you have realized, that one of the big messages throughout this month-long career planning community, has been the importance of the engagement of students in their own career planning - and this can be students still in high school - and also those in adult education settings. From the opening webinar which provided a foundation to the month-long forum, to Curtis Richards Webinar this week, we have shared theoretical frameworks and tangible tools that facilitate the engagement of students in their own career planning.

Next week we will have guest discussants, including a program director from a nationally recognized postsecondary education resource center (HEATH), and a student, talking about the importance of student decision making in establishing their own career plans and goals. We will share more information about this upcoming week-long forum with these distinguished invited guests shortly.

In the meantime, here is another resource that I thought you might find useful. This also comes from The National Center for Workforce Development.

Tool: Self-Advocate Tool http://www.ncwd-youth.info/tip-sheet/becoming-a-self-advocate

The National Consortium on Leadership and Disability for Youth (NCLD-Youth) is a youth-led resource, Information and training center for youth and emerging leaders with developmental disabilities housed at the Institute for Educational Leadership and funded by a grant/contract/cooperative agreement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Developmental Disabilities (Number #90DN0206).

Thank you for your participation this month!

Comments

I am a first year teacher for CTE-Criminal Justice. I noticed that most students enjoy having ownership of their goals when it comes to career plans.  They have many influences in their community but most importantly, I believe giving them information for training, tangible tools for exploration, and decision making stategies toward career planning.