Community-embedded Literacy: A New “One stop” for South Philadelphia: Adult Literacy, Neighborhood Library and Community Health Center

Nonformal educators,

This article describes heartening news for South Philadelphia, and perhaps a model for the integration of community health and literacy that could be replicated in some other communities. Although described as digital literacy in the article, once this community center opens they may discover that basic literacy, English language for immigrants, and other adult basic skills are also needed.

I am interested in what I call "community-embedded adult literacy". It's a simple idea, that adult basic skills teaching and learning can take place in other important community organizations, agencies and businesses. I am looking for examples.

Are you from Philadelphia? If so, can you tell us more about this new center? Philadelphia is also one of the first cities to address adult basic skills needs in other ways. The Mayor's Commission on Literacy and Philadelphia Public Library sponsor a citywide online and blended learning initiative, and a venerable annual one-day urban technology and literacy conference,  and there is a neighborhood supermarket that addresses "food desert" and adult basic skills issues together, that has an adult basic skills center in the supermarket. As you may know, our micro-group facilitator, Paul Rogers, will be at Philadelphia's urban technology conference this Friday. Paul, if you can, bring back news about this community health center, the supermarket, Philadelphia recreation centers that offer digital literacy and perhaps other basic skills, and other community-embedded adult literacy initiatives. Also, if you can, bring some Philadelphia nonformal educators to join this micro-group and discuss these initiatives!

Everyone: are adult basic skills programs in your community embedded in other kinds of community agencies or services? Libraries, shopping centers, job training centers, career centers, recreation centers, and elsewhere? If so, tell us about them!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com