Swahili Literacy in a church

Concerning Nonformal adult education programs and Diversity, here is a good example of what we can do:

Many years ago I visited an African literacy program  in a church located in an area where many refugees lived. During the week there were classes in Swahili literacy, ESL, immigration information, and other courses or services such as how to get a driver’s license, rental and job information, health issues, etc., etc.

I went to see if I could be of any help as a tutor, but …everything was fine and running well. Plus all classes were conducted in Swahili, so I could not be of much help to begin with. The director gave me a bilingual ESL book, so that I could study Swahili! It was a very good text, and, if I had had the time, I might have taken a Swahili class.

To me, this program represents the type of community based – Nonformal – adult education program that we can better serve. Logistically there is no reason for this type of organization to be isolated from the larger adult education community in the city.

Once I took a workshop on grant writing and found out that foundations like to give out grants to agencies that work together cooperatively. I can see a citywide network, sharing resources and information, and engaging in fund-raising together, cooperatively. Then I think we can solve a lot of problems.

Paul

Comments

Leecy and group, the best place to start is by forming a Literacy Council in the county or area, if there isn’t one already. Each and every organization that is involved in providing classes can be invited to join in order to share resources and information and at the same time engage in publicity, outreach and…fund-raising.

Paul