Increasing the Amount of Students' Reading and Writing

Hello colleagues, There is no question that to achieve the ELA standards, students need to engage in more reading and writing -- especially nonfiction. A source for nonfiction articles that students and I have found very helpful is well known author, trainer and high school teacher Kelly Gallagher's Article of the Week. Gallagher's students read a teacher-selected article and write at least one page in response to the prompts he provides. Some weeks there are two articles that offer different positions on an issue, e.g., two articles about Harriet Tubman replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20.  Gallagher's Articles of the Week are archived on his website. While some of the topics are most relevant to teens, most are on topics that are relevant to any age student. Here are a few examples:

• The Zika Epidemic Explained
  • Addicted to Lotteries
  • The Next Civil Rights Frontier is Digital
  • 10 Benefits of Reading: Why You Should Read Every Day
  • A Clock So Precise is Beyond Space and Time

I've had good luck assigning students to read these articles and write for homework. Not everyone has time to do homework, but those who are doing this extra reading and writing are showing significant achievement toward the ELA standards.

I think reading the articles as a class would make for excellent discussion, as well. Let us know your thoughts about ways to effectively use these resources.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, College and Career Standards CoP

Comments

Hi Susan, 

I loved this list. Before we ask students to read anything, we would want to tie the materials into the student's learning goals. As an example, assign the Zika article but help students connect the dots. They are reading science text, buiding reading skills for the reading portion of a High School Equivalency Exam, and building writing skills. That's three content areas in one article - and students can see the benefits of engagement with the content. Additionally, these content areas are relevant to their life; therefore buildilng interest. Using these articles, I would also teach students how to use graphic organizers to break down the content. Teaching students strategies for critically reading these articles enables students to transition the new skills to more complex reading. 

When I first introduce text and assignments, I like to present a brief summary of how students are expected to read / write in college and careers. It helps students see this is a meaningful activity. This is part of my initial presentation in a college English course when explaining why reading / writing are so important.  "In many professions, you will do research, think about what you find, make decisions about complicated matters, and then explain those decisions--usually in writing--to others who have a stake in your decisions." 

Thanks for your comment, about the importance of connecting reading to learners' goals and interests, Kathy. I'm wondering about the process for choosing texts to bring to class. How do you decide on which articles will be of interest? Do you survey students? Do you offer choices?

I'm also interested in the sources members draw upon for reading materials-- especially nonfiction since this is so important to building knowledge.

I'd also like to hear from members about ways to support students to spend more time reading. Kelly Gallagher, whom I referenced in my initial post, is adamant that reading at home is crucial. What do members think about the importance of homework? Are members making this case to learners? Are members structuring opportunities for students to take reading and writing assignments home to complete?

Looking forward to hearing more!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, College and Career Standards CoP