CCR Standards for Adult Education

In the newly released College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education report, the author, Susan Pimentel, states on page 6 that the standards will benefit all states in these ways:

• Consistent expectations so that all students will be prepared for college without remediation;
  • Partnerships between programs and states to combine resources to create materials and tools that will aid with implementation of the standards;
  • Student preparation for the new assessments using the skills identified by the standards for earning a high school diploma or its equivalent.

How will this impact you?

Meryl Becker-Prezoocki, SME

Comments

I read this report with interest. Based on the supporting research, one of the most important predictors of success is the students ability to read and understand a variety of complex texts throughout the content areas. I think this is a huge statement when combined with reports that indicates students are reading at least 4 academic grade levels below where they should be (ACT 2006)

For me, this impacts the overal currciulum development. Students, now more than ever, need to have access to a curriculum that provides in-depth exposure to reading.

Yes I agree that the critical reading skills impact all areas of study. Also students lack study skill such as time management, test strategies and note taking.

The standards are very high; our students' skills are very low.. a disconnect with reality?

I don't look at is as a disconnect from reality. I look at it as an opportunity for us to step up and get our students ready to be successful in thier lives. To give our students opportunities that they may not have had before. There will be a great need for PD for teachers. Some states and OVAE are already developing and implementing this PD. Much is being done in the K-12 arena that we can borrow from. Too many people outside of adult education think of our students as second class. Now we'll have the tools to show them how wrong they are. It will be a challenge for students and teachers alike but I think it's one that will have great benefits.

I feel that high standards are necessary to create high functioning students.  No one wants to create an non-challenging learning environment.  Students need to be ready to function at a high level in order to achieve desired outcomes.  Additionally, high standards create integrity of a program.  Many of our students have apparently reached the point they are currently at without critical, basic skills in academics including study skills and the like.  I also have to say that we often see a social/emotional component that plays into the equation.  There is a certain amount of motivation and drive required to acheive at high levels.  Along with giving students the tools they need to success academically, I feel we would be remiss to exclude an approach that addresses these issues. It's a gray area for certain, but one that would serve our students well.  I would be interested in hearing what others are doing in this area.