2016 Educator Survey Results

Thanks to all of the GED® educators who participated in GED Testing Service's recent online survey. You were candid, as well as generous with your time, and we appreciate it! A total of 1,263 responses were determined to be complete from eligible participants.The results of this survey will help us immediately improve the GED® program. Let’s take a look at some of the findings so you can see how you compare to others. Please click here.

2016 Educator Survey Results 

Comments

One of the most striking findings was, "Close to half of GED® educators, 47%, spend an hour or two each month on their professional development. A total of 25% of the respondents spend three to five hours each month on PD. You may be surprised to hear that 13% of educators say they do not have any time for professional development." To me, this is very striking. Professional development is essential to the success, and even the retention, of teachers. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the need for evidence based PD.

Kathy,

I think there is a great need for evidence-based PD to equip educators with more tools and strategies to help learners.  I know that in Correctional Education PD can be hard because the internet is limited; if it exists at all.  So many educators miss out on opportunities to participate in webinars or online learning communities.  Additionally, if there face-to-face training most often it is offsite since the classrooms aren't accessible without proper paperwork and approvals in place.  This has been my experience with working in Correctional Education - does anyone else have a similar or different experience?

Brooke

Hi Kathy and all, These results are not surprising to me. There are many adult literacy teachers who are not paid to participate in professional development. The part time nature of our field is a big reason for that. To be honest, I was surprised that only 49% of respondents indicated they are part time. From my experience, I would think more than 49% are part time. Part timers have fewer chances to participate in PD.

Being able to support more full time teaching positions would help address the PD issue. How might we creatively address these issues?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Assessment CoP