The 2020 Census

Hello colleagues, There has been lots of buzz about the 2020 Census. We all know that it is crucial that everyone is counted this year. In what ways are you addressing the census in your programs and in your classrooms? There are a lot of great resources out there including those mentioned during the National Coalition for Literacy's webinars. Here's a link to the the New England Literacy Resource Center's collection of 2020 Census materials.

What specific resources and materials have you found especially useful? Tell us how you are approaching this important event in your program and in your classroom!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

Comments

Thank you, Susan, for this link, and for the work of the New England Literacy Resource Center.

I believe in the great purpose of the census. What it reveals of the past history of the USA is so valuable personally and academically, and, of course, it underpins our democracy.

I have "taught" the census since 1990. I could confidently "promise" my international students that their information was secure, that the census information is protected by law, that anyone who gave any of the private information to someone would be punished, etc. etc.

Now, really, who is going to believe that promise? If I were an undocumented person or had an undocumented person present in my residence, I would not fill out this form, no matter the promises that it is secure, confidential and so on.

As a teacher, and as an American, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thank you for sharing your concern, Rosemary. It's good to hear you emphasize the importance of the census to the learners in your class. There are only 9 questions on this year's census. Thankfully, there is no question about citizenship.

Here is a link to the census form we will all complete.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP