December 2014: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Catch up with all that is buzzing in the College and Career Standards group this holiday season! Happy holidays!
New and Ongoing Discussions
- Test Taking Strategies? As the end of the semester draws near, what are teachers doing to prepare students to post-test with the NRS-approved testing instruments? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/test-taking-strategies
- Where are the Adult Education Blogs? If you follow an adult education blog, we’d like to hear from you! Who do you follow? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/where-are-adult-education-blogs
- Students Generating Their Own Questions: In what ways do you structure opportunities for students to generate their own questions about the content you are teaching? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/students-generating-their-own-questions
- Do You Give Vocabulary Quizzes? What is your approach to teaching academic vocabulary? Do you give vocabulary quizzes? Share your ideas here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/do-you-give-vocabulary-quizzes
- Checking Lessons to Determine the Alignment to the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education: Achieve has partnered with the Teaching Channel for a series of videos that focus on EQuiP (Educators Evaluating the Quality of Instructional Products). EQuiP is an initiative designed to identify quality materials aligned to the Common Core Standards. Find out more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/checking-lessons-determine-alignment-college-and-career-readiness-standards-adult
- Using TED Talks in the Adult Education Classroom: TED Talks have endless possibilities for the classroom. How are you using TED in the classroom and how are adult learners responding? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/using-ted-talks-adult-education-classroom
- Jigsaw Vocabulary: Read and watch how to incorporate jigsaw puzzles into your vocabulary instruction, and let us know if you might try this out: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/jigsaw-vocabulary
- Scaffolding on the Spot! Do you use the spot scaffolding strategy when you notice students do not understand what is being taught? What other strategies have been effective for you when it is clear students are not “getting it”? https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/scaffolding-spot
- Common Core Lessons Available from Achieve: Achieve released 50 lessons and units in English language arts/literacy and mathematics that are available to all educators that can be adapted by adult educators: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/common-core-lessons-available-achieve
New Group Bulletins
- CCR Standards Project: What started as an important announcement about the updates to the College and Career Readiness Standards in Adult Education project has evolved into a vibrant discussion about evidence-based reading instruction and reading apprenticeships: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/ccr-standards-project
- Job Announcements: LaGuardia Community College/CUNY: LaGuardia Community College/CUNY in Western Queens, New York has two openings for experienced educators interested in supporting college access and success. Find out more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/job-announcements-laguardia-community-collegecuny-1
Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Don’t Miss: The Employability Skills Framework – Webinar and Discussion! From Monday, December 1-5, LINCS partners with RTI International and special guests to host a lively discussion about why employability skills matter for adult learners and strategies and resources for incorporating them into the ABE classroom. Find out more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/don%E2%80%99t-miss-employability-skills-framework-webinar-discussion
- Health Literacy Special Discussion: On November 17-21, the Health Literacy group hosted a week long special discussion with special guest, Maricel Santos: ESL as a Mechanism for Advancing Health Literacy. Access the discussion archive: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/attention-today-starts-our-special-health-literacy-discussion
- Infographic: Improving Skills of Young Adults: PIAAC Gateway released a new infographic: Getting Back Up To Speed. The infographic focuses on the skills of U.S. young adults (ages 16-24) and uses PIAAC data to provide insight into how their skills compare to other countries in today’s global economy: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/infographic-improving-skills-young-adults
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team