July 2014: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
Catch up on discussions and announcements that you may have missed in June! Here is a recap of the College and Career Standards group activity from the previous month.
New and Ongoing Discussions
- Why Do You Teach? This summer, spend some time reflecting on why you teach. Share your story of how you began in adult education: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/why-do-you-teach
- News from the Center for the Study of Adult: The Center for the Study of Adult Literacy has created a library of web-based texts collected for adult learners. This library includes over 1,500 different materials for learners to read categorized by level of difficulty. Find out more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/news-center-study-adult-literacy-2
- Sustaining an Initiative: Standard-Based Education: A few months ago RTI International released the Handbook for Sustaining Standards-Based Education in Adult Education. It was part of the Promoting College and Career Readiness Standards in Adult Education project under contract to OCTAE. Find out more about this resource: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/sustaining-initiative-standards-based-education
- The Most Debatable Topic in Adult Education: The Evidence-based Professional Development group is hosting a debate this summer on a select topic in adult education. Members are encouraged to provide your input on what you consider to be the most debatable topic in adult education here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/most-debatable-topic-adult-education
- Adult Educators Summer Reading List: What’s on your list of summer reading to improve your instruction and learning? Share with your colleagues: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/comment/7310
- Implementation Institute: Have you already attended the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education Implementation Institute? Share what you have learned here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/implementation-institute
- Paideia Seminars: What do you know about it? Are you familiar with the Paideia Seminar? Have you used it? Let your colleagues know your thoughts about this methodology: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/paideia-seminars-what-do-you-know-about-it
- Teaching Maya Angelou: The New York Times commemorated the life of Maya Angelou. Find links to videos, lessons plans, and other resources that can be starting points for creative lessons here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/teaching-maya-angelou
New Group Bulletins
- Job Announcement: Bridge to College and Careers Program Manager, LaGuardia Community College/CUNY: The Pre-College Academic Programming Department (www.laguardia.edu/pcap) is seeking a full-time Program Manager to successfully implement all aspects of the Bridge to College and Careers Project at LaGuardia Community College. For more information: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/bulletin/job-announcement-bridge-college-and-careers-program-manager-laguardia-community-collegecu-0
Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Register Now for LINCS Evening User Training, July 10th: Back by popular demand, the LINCS Community team and Diversity and Literacy group moderator, Ryan Hall, will co-present A Roadmap to LINCS: Plotting Your Route to Optimal Professional Development on Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 5 p.m. EDT: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/register-now-lincs-evening-user-training-july-10th
- Starting in Two Weeks: Adult Citizenship Education Discussion with USCIS: Starting July 7, LINCS will host a week-long conversation on adult citizenship education with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Office of Citizenship. Learn more: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/starting-two-weeks-adult-citizenship-education-discussion-uscis
- Join the Discussion! Improving Career Pathways Services for Public Housing Residents: The Career Pathways and Program Management groups hosted a webinar in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on June 17. If you missed the webinar, you can access the webinar archive and join the follow-up discussion in the LINCS Community: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/join-discussion-improving-career-pathways-services-public-housing-residents
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team