Week September 2, 2013: College and Career Standards Group Snapshot: Join the Conversations!
New Group Discussions
- Education for the Cast-off Members of Our Labor Force – Join Tom Sticht in reflecting on Labor Day and its relation to our work in adult education: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/education-cast-members-our-labor-force
- CCR standards and English Language Learners – How are you using the College and Career Readiness Standards for English Language Learners in your state/organization? If you have other standards in place, how will you approach integrating these? Will you? And if you do not have other standards in place, are you considering using these for your ESL population? How? Share your thoughts in this thread: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/ccr-standards-and-english-language-learners
- Job-specific Vocabulary & Speech – How are you teaching job-specific vocabulary and speech with your students? Do you have printable resources that you can share? Join the conversation here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/job-specific-vocabulary-speech-thread-2
- It is back to school around the nation! – Now that classes are beginning around the country, share with us how standards will play a role in the work you do: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/it-back-school-around-nation
There are no new group bulletins. Have an announcement to share with other group members? Post to the Bulletin tab! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/node/257/content/bulletins
New LINCS Announcements
- Math and Science Adult Educators – Professional Development Opportunity – The OER STEM project, funded by OVAE, is offering a professional development opportunity to adult educators who teach math and science to basic or below postsecondary adult learners. For more information on this opportunity, visit: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/math-and-science-adult-educators-%E2%80%93-professional-development-opportunity
- Adult literacy practitioners’ use of materials: Reading Teacher Research Survey – The Center for the Study of Adult Literacy is conducting a research study on the kinds of texts and teaching practices used in adult literacy centers. If you are a reading instructor, participate in the study here: https://community.lincs.ed.gov/notice/adult-literacy-practitioners-use-materials-reading-teacher-research-survey
New to the College and Career Standards group? Introduce yourself here! https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/welcome-and-please-introduce-yourself-0
See you in the College and Career Standards group!
The LINCS Community Team