How do I create a new discussion or comment on an existing discussion?
The LINCS Community thrives on your participation in discussions. You may read discussions in our public discussion Groups without being signed in, but must sign in as a member of a group in order to create or comment on a discussion. Please see https://community.lincs.ed.gov/help/how-do-i-create-new-account-or-register-community if you’re not sure how to create a login account.
Creating a New Discussion
If you’d like to discuss a topic which is not yet under discussion in your group, you can create a new discussion by following these steps:
Log in to the Community.
Select My LINCS.
Under My Groups tab, select the desired group name (the Assessment group is shown in the screenshot example that follows).
Select the Discussions tab (second tab from left).
- Select Add Discussion.
- Complete the Title and Body fields to create your discussion post. You can use a variety of formatting tools in the Body field to create your post.
You may upload an image or images (up to 2MB in size) to accompany your discussion. Allowed extensions are: png, gif, jpg, and jpeg. You must upload the image before saving the new discussion. Please note: images can only be uploaded to the initial discussion post, not to comments.
In the Groups section you may choose additional groups that you want to cross-post your discussion to. This list of groups only includes the groups you have joined. Please be cautious about cross-posting discussions, and make sure that the topic under discussion fits in the groups chosen.
You may tag the discussion with multiple Tag keywords. Add a comma between tags.
- When finished, select Preview to see your new discussion before it is posted to the group. If you do not want to make any changes, select Post at the bottom of the page.
Please note: Once a member comments to your discussion thread, you will no longer be able to edit your post. If you need help editing a post, please ask the LINCS Help Desk for assistance (you can contact us at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/contact-us or by email at email@example.com).
Commenting on an existing discussion
Often it’s a better idea to comment on an existing discussion, instead of creating a new one. To add a comment to a discussion, follow these steps:
- On an existing discussion, select Add new comment just below the post.
- You may want to provide an informative title for your comment in the Subject. If you don’t title your comment, the first section of your comment will automatically become the title. You can use a variety of formatting tools to create your Comment.
- When finished, select Preview to review your comment before it is posted to the group. If you do not want to make any changes, select Post at the bottom of the page.
Please note: Once another member replies to your comment, you will no longer be able to edit it. If you need help editing a post, please ask the LINCS Help Desk for assistance (you can contact us at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/contact-us or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org).