How do I create a new discussion or comment on an existing discussion?
The LINCS Community thrives on your participation in discussions. You may read discussions in our public discussion Groups without being signed in, but must sign in as a member of a group in order to create or comment on a discussion. Please see https://community.lincs.ed.gov/help/how-do-i-create-new-account-or-register-community if you’re not sure how to create a login account.
Commenting on an Existing Discussion
It is generally a good rule of thumb to see if there is an existing discussion for a given topic to comment on before creating a new one. There are several ways you can go about finding discussions to participate in.
- Assuming you are logged in, click My LINCS in the main menu. If you are not currently logged inThe default page displayed when you visit My LINCS is the My Groups' Activity page. This page shows a collapsible list of recent group activity (bulletins, discussions, polls, etc) for all the groups you've joined.
- If a discussion listed here interests you simply click its title. Alternatively you can click the Discussions button for a group to browse all discussions in that group.
- The following shows the discussions list page for a given group. Notice the Search Filters section. If you click Search Filters a list of fields will be displayed you can use to filter discussions for the current group. This can be helpful if you're looking for discussions on a given topic.
- Once you've located a discussion you'd like to comment on, click its title to open it. Once the discussion is open, scroll down and select Add new comment just below the post.
- You may want to provide an informative title for your comment in the Subject. If you don’t title your comment, the first section of your comment will automatically become the title. You can use a variety of formatting tools to create your Comment.
- When finished, select Preview to review your comment before it is posted to the group. If you do not want to make any changes, select Post at the bottom of the page.
Please note: Once another member replies to your comment, you will no longer be able to edit it. If you need help editing a post, please ask the LINCS Help Desk for assistance (you can contact us at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/contact-us or by email at email@example.com).
Creating a New Discussion
If you’d like to discuss a topic which is not yet under discussion in your group, you can create a new discussion by following these steps:
Log in to the Community and select My LINCS.
On the default My LINCS page (My Groups' Activity) click the Hide All Activity button (the displayed button text will change to Show All Activity)
On the resulting discussions list page select Add Discussion.
- Complete the Title and Body fields to create your discussion post. You can use a variety of formatting tools in the Body field to create your post.
You may upload an image or images (up to 2MB in size) to accompany your discussion. Allowed extensions are: png, gif, jpg, and jpeg. You must upload the image before saving the new discussion. Please note: images can only be uploaded to the initial discussion post, not to comments.
You may tag the discussion with multiple Tag keywords. Add a comma between tags.
- When finished, select Preview to see your new discussion before it is posted to the group. If you do not want to make any changes, select Post at the bottom of the page.
Please note: Once a member comments to your discussion thread, you will no longer be able to edit your post. If you need help editing a post, please ask the LINCS Help Desk for assistance (you can contact us at https://community.lincs.ed.gov/contact-us or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org).