The Philadelphia Literacy Alliance - a Model to Emulate

Hello, everyone! In reading about the upcoming conference of technology and community based adult education in Philladelphia, I read a little about the event and found this:

"The Philadelphia Adult Literacy Alliance brings together over 200 active members from the adult education community who provide, coordinate, fund, and support adult literacy and workforce development services."

I believe that the model of the Alliance is the best way to oganize and coordinate the collaboration that is needed between all adult education providers, formal and nonformal.

What do you think, can we form this kind of Alliance?
Paul

Comments

Hi Paul and others,

First, this is a great adult literacy and technology conference, as far as I know the only annual urban adult literacy and technology conference. It has been sponsored by the Mayor's Coalition on Literacy and Temple University’s Center for Social Policy and Community Development in Philadelphia for many years. I have had the pleasure of presenting workshops there, and on two occasions being their keynote speaker. I recommend the conference to all who may be interested.

There are a few cities that have had long-standing adult literacy initiatives or coalitions. For example, Boston's Adult Literacy Initiative, sponsored by the Mayor's Office for Workforce Development; the New York City Adult Literacy Initiative sponsored, I believe, by the Mayor's Department of Youth and Community Development; and Philadelphia's Mayor's Commission on Literacy. There may be many other cities that have coalitions sponsored by local government, or possibly through United Way organizations, and in other ways.

There are adult literacy coalitions in many parts of the country that have been formed by adult basic skills (including English language learning) programs, and sometime including children's literacy programs, for example in Greater Cleveland, Ohio; Palm Beach, Florida; Indianapolis, Indiana; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Central Texas; and throughout California, sponsored by the California State Library. ProLiteracy in the U.S. has, I believe, nearly 1,000 member organizations, many of which are members of partnerships, coalitions, and collaborations.

A nonformal, community-based adult literacy program that might not be aware of how adult literacy (including English language) programs are organized where they are located might google their city or town with the words "adult literacy" "adult basic education" or "adult education" and the words "coalition", "alliance," "collaborative" and/or "partnership". There may already be a organization of programs like theirs.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David, thanks for this, it is very good to know.

In order to create Literacy Councils we need leadership.

I wonder what would happen if only 5% of the LINCS  members were to start “the ball rolling” to build city-wide literacy councils in their areas.

Like they said in the movie: Build it and they will come!

I am convinced that in the future more such councils will emerge to promote Nonformal, community based adult education – in alliance with the Formal centers.

Paul