Literacy and the FDA Updated Nutrition Facts Label

Health Literacy Colleagues,

The Nutrition Facts Label design has been updated. It won't look radically different, but has some improvements that may help shoppers take in the information and make decisions more easily and rapidly, and has some added information about sugar. You can read about these changes at http://qz.com/690901/with-an-updated-nutrition-facts-label-the-fda-settles-an-eternal-question-why-helvetica/ .

I wonder, especially for those who have been teaching adult learners how to read these labels, what you think of the changes. Will they make the labels easier to read? Is this a good example of plain language labeling? Other thoughts?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Thanks for sharing this, David.

I found the more realistic serving sizes helpful.  And, while the change is not required until July 2018, it will have some immediate effects as companies develop their labels and see how they look.  The FDA has some additional information on the new labeling.  I'm wondering if teachers and students have done projects using smartphones -- taking pictures of favorite packaged foods, including the Nutrition Facts label.

Cynthia

Health Literacy Moderator