6 Test Day Tips To Share With Your GED® Students

Of course it’s important for students to know the content covered on the GED® test. But it’s also important for them to feel comfortable and confident on test day. Going into the test knowing what to expect, and having a few key test-taking strategies, will go a long way in ensuring your students’ success.

Click here for six helpful test-taking tips you can incorporate into your classroom instruction to help prepare your students for their testing experience.

6 Test Day Tips To Share With Your GED® Students

Comments

Hello colleagues, Thanks for linking us to this list of useful test day tips Jessica. I'm wondering what test taking strategies members have found especially important to share with students. What strategies do learners share with one another? Sometimes the most valuable lessons learned come from those who have been there!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Assessment CoP

These are great tips for preparing a student for taking a test. I also suggest that the students be well-rested which is not easy for those who work full time jobs. In math, I always state that success lies in practice, repetition and memorization. I like to discuss test taking with the student to get an understanding of how they feel about it and do my best to bring their comfort level up.Most of the students feel pretty confident by the time we work through the concepts.

Dear Colleagues,

I usually tell my students the usual, like getting plenty of rest and eating a healthy and hearty breakfast. I also tell them that during the test they should not spend too much time on any one question, to flag a difficult question, move on and come back to it later. One of my students who took the test shared that he did the written responses first since they take the most time.

Thanks, Faye and Douglas, for adding to the list of test taking tips. I wonder if teachers have particular recommendations for helping students to calm their nerves on test day. Skipping the hard questions and coming back to them later, as you suggest, Faye, is a good technique since I might become anxious when I am unable to figure out a question quickly. Feeling a lot of anxiety is definitely not a good thing when testing! One thing I've told students is to realize they will probably not get all the questions right, so they should try not to stress out too much over one question.

Keep the ideas coming!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Assessment CoP

Test prep begins at enrollment. Students need to know what to expect and in each lesson / activity / discussion, we conclude with 'what did you learn' and then I wrap it up with, "and this is how you will see it on your exam / in college / in a workplace training session." Connecting the dots throughout instruction is critical to test prep. When the student is ready to take their test, we can have a review of what they learned in class. Sometimes, reminding students that they really did learn what they needed to know in class is the best test prep around. :-)