New LINCS Graphic: Where are you in the Health Literacy Pie?

Greetings, Colleagues:

The homepage of our Health Literacy group now has a membership graphic!  It's really interesting to see what roles members in our community play.  You will probably notice that the largest group shows the members who have not yet designated a role in their profile (46%)! 

If you are among those who have not completed a profile, I want to encourage you to please do so, including your role. For those who have completed a profile, please double check to see if your role is filled in.

To check, add to, or complete your LINCS profile:

1. Log-in to the LINCS Community
  2. Click the My LINCS tab
  3. Select Profile from the list of tabs below your name
  4. Make the changes to complete your profile (including role), and scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Save button

Now, go back and take a look.  The graphic should update immediately.  Thank you to those who have already completed their profiles, and a special thanks to those who add their role!

Cynthia Zafft

Health Literacy Moderator

Comments

Greetings One and All:

Thank you to the Health Literacy members who added their role (an instructor, administrator, professional developer, and researcher)!

Cynthia Zafft

Health Literacy Moderator

alas aren't amongst the options:: educator, knowledge mobilization and translation.  Since I may be the only one (in this group) with these roles, my piece of the pie would be such teeny tiny slice that I can understand why these options are not there. Nonetheless, I will continue to lurk and learn (and appreciate) contributions to the listserv. Thanks for all you do, Cynthia!

Hi Kathy:

There are many ways to slice a pie.  I don't think you are alone in not fitting neatly into one category.  So, I'm very intrigued by your role description...what exactly do you do?

Cynthia

Cynthia! Thank you for your interest. Hard to give as succinct an answer as I’d like. I make a living by identifying gaps in patient-facing information/education and (attempting) to fill them, whilst also raising healthcare professional’s awareness of these same gaps. I co-created hospital-based television networks for patient education – The Parent Channel and Healthtv - which broadcast in many top teaching hospitals across North America  - Johns Hopkins, New York Pres, UCLA, Beth Israel in Boston– with topics that supported the Joint Commission’s requirements. Content itself was driven by those very gaps I identified – which always always were the result of some communication issue – whether health literacy or assumptions of patient knowledge.

This wound down 5 years ago  - with videos migrated to my YouTube channel.  My focus now is end of life health literacy – my website’s BestEndings.com, and just released eBook:“Death Kills.. and other things I’ve learned on the internet” 

It’s still all about health literacy and communication… just doesn’t fit into the usual categories - and I think you're right: I'm not alone in category creep ;-)  Again.. thanks for asking  -

Hi Kathy:

Thanks for the additional resources, and you certainly have identified an important gap for your current work!  The videos on smoking caught my eye, among others (so costly in so many ways)...will keep looking at them this week.

Cynthia