Math Question

Our adult program for ELLs includes math classes. Our students’ language level ranges from NRS 1 to NRS 5. We currently use the math section of the TABE as a post-test, but are questioning whether this is the best standardized math test for ELLs. I haven’t been able to find any standardized math tests for adult ELLs. Does anyone know of any? Also, if anyone offers math classes to your adult ELLs, could you share your pre- and post-math assessment? Thanks for your help.

Dorothy Taylor

Comments

Hello Dorothy, Thanks for this good question. When you refer to NRS levels, can we assume you are referring to levels in math? Have these learners tested out of ESL levels in reading and listening/speaking? 

In addition to TABE, CASAS is another standardized test that assesses math. Could we hear from members who are using CASAS to assess language learners in math?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP

Thanks, Susan. Actually, the NRS levels refer to the students' language levels, not their math level. I wasn't aware that CASAS had an ESL math assessment. I'll check that out.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy, Thanks for responding. Actually, CASAS tests in language, math and reading, but they don't have a math assessment exclusively for language learners. Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition CoP