Reaching for Sociolinguistic Competence

Students with high levels of grammatical competence in the second language do not always have high levels of sociocultural ability (Felix-Brasfeder, 2003). Li (2009) found that Mandarin Chinese learners of English tend to transfer their first language pragmatic skills and habits into the second language environment; in other words, they assume that communicative patterns from their first language also apply for the second language communicative context. While predominant American rhetoric patterns might value directness in answering and asking questions, Chinese rhetoric patterns favor individual responses that are circular rather than direct, which can be interpreted as imprecise and vague by the American standards.

In fact, East Asian cultures are generally known for avoiding direct refusals. Looking at the use of refusal strategies by native and non-native speakers of Mandarin Chinese, Hong (2011) found that L1 speakers of Chinese were likely to use a wider range of refusal strategies than L1 speakers of English. Logically, if these strategies are transferred into second language context, L1 speakers of Chinese are more likely to use circular, indirect patterns when using English than native speakers are.

So what’s the problem?

Cultural and linguistic differences may result in workplace misunderstandings and affect performance.. For instance, a second language speaker of English may be relatively quiet during staff meetings thus demonstrating respect for supervisors following the native cultural values system. However, if such behavior is interpreted through the lens of American direct communicative style, the employee may be seen as lacking initiative and motivation (Thompson, 2006). In other words, what is intended as show of respect can be interpreted as passive attitude to work. In order to prevent such problems, second language learners of English should be made aware of differences in communicative styles and be explicitly taught the characteristics of American conversational patterns occurring in various contexts. – And it’s good to do so from the beginning.

So how do you do that at all levels of instruction? Deborah BWCC, in her September 30 posting on Culminating Activity - Principles of Second Language Teaching, talks about how she folds this sociolinguistic competence into a lesson for her beginning level learners on food shopping, practicing when, to whom and how to ask for help if you are not satisfied with initial responses to your inquires.

How do you include this aspect of the language in your instruction? I would love to hear from your on that topic. What activities or strategies do  you employ?

Best, Miriam

References

Hong, W. (2011). Refusals in Chinese: How do L1 and L2 differ? Foreign Language Annals, 44(1), 122-135

Li, W. (2009). Pragmatic Transfer by Chinese EFL Learners in Requests. PhD Thesis, School of Languages and Comp Cultural Studies, the University of Queensland.

Thompson, C. (2006). Using a language that's not your own: Experiences of multilingual employees. The Diversity Factor, 14(2), 30-36. U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2006). Number of jobs held in a lifetime. Retrieved from www.bls.gov/nls/nlsfaqs.htm#anch41

Comments

Miriam,

Thank you for sharing this information.  I looked up the article by Cooper Thompson (2006) you mentioned.  I found it at

http://www.cooper-thompson.com/essays/PDF/UsingALanguageThat'sNotYourOwn.pdf

A description of the article at the EBSCO website (http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/20791836/using-language-thats-not-your-own-experiences-multilingual-employees) says this:  [Cooper Thompson's] article presents a conversation between multilingual employees in a U.S.-based English speaking company about their experiences and dilemmas. Examples of the dilemmas they face every day include:

• not knowing the right word to use;
  • not being understood because of an accent;
  • and being ignored or discounted. 

The article itself contains a statement that really struck me very much.  The statement is in bold below:

Suggestions for Improving Communication Across Language Differences

In organizations with multilingual employees, we believe that it’s important to provide support to multilingual employees based on what they say they need, not what others believe they need. At the same time, we believe that it’s important to challenge monolingual employees who may be making assumptions about multilingual employees. For example, managers or colleagues might believe that a multilingual employee has a performance problem based primarily on a perceived lack of English language fluency. While there might be some need to improve fluency, our experience is that sending an employee to a language course or an accent coach may not feel supportive to the employee nor will it necessarily have a noticeable impact on performance. We’d rather start with the assumption that the employee is competent to do their job and has adequate English-speaking ability, especially if s/he attended a U.S. university or college.

I remember some students who came to my classes, telling me their employer gave them a deadline, usually one month, to get their accent right or lose their job.  Often, the speaking ability of the student was, in my estimation, very good.  Sometimes I wanted to call the employer and offer to train them in understanding the student they had sent to my classes.  

One student in particular was an engineer in a small office.  The student had worked for the company more than 10 years with exemplary performance.  But a new manager came in and gave the student an "ultimatum."  The student appeared upbeat about it but also seemed to be scared.  Not having much experience with doing "accent coaching" I went to many websites and books to see how I could help the student.  At the same time I had a retired speech therapist who volunteered her time.  Together, we crafted a series of practice sessions that built up the student's ability (and confidence) in sounding more native-like. 

When a student is afraid of losing their job, it can make it even more difficult for them to speak in English. Just being nervous often impedes speaking with fluency.  Being the teacher in this situation can cause frustration for the teacher too.  I wonder what a teacher can do to support these students?

Phil Anderson

Adult ESOL Program, Florida Department of Education

(850) 245-9450

Miriam-- this is fascinating!  It goes right along with what I just posted about aspects of culture that affect students in their interactions and expectations in ESL classes.   I missed this posting-- was traveling. 

Do you know of a work that looks broadly at culture and discourse and linguistic interactions??   ( a book perhaps?)   This information, as you and Phil noted, is awfully important for teachers to know about to help students in awkward work situations, as well as in the classroom and other interactions. 

My tiny organization here in Washington Co, ME, has just launched a short English class through the MIgrant Education Program for young Mexican men who are "tipping"-- cutting the ends of balsam trees for brush to make wreaths.  The young woman who is the lead teacher recently spent three years in the Dominican Republic.  One segment of her first class last night was to address socially correct ways of talking to young women!!  She, and our new Americorps assistant, who has lived in three other countries in Africa and Central America, have both had some pretty awkward interactions with males trying to get their attention and doing it in ways consistent with their own cultures. 

I was so pleased that this lead teacher was ready to take this on in the very first class!!

Robin Lovrien Schwarz

Robin (and all), I too, have been traveling a lot and am now getting to your questions regarding a resource on the interface of language, culture, and sociolinguistic competence. Thank you for your deep, thoughtful posts on this topic. Unfortunately, I can’t put my fingers on a book that addresses this interface for all everyone studying English as a second or additional language (as if, right?), but I can point you to the following resources:

Felix-Brasfeder, J. C. (2003). Declining an invitation: A cross-cultural study of pragmatic strategies in American English and Latin American Spanish. Multilingua, 22, 225-255

Hong, W. (2011). Refusals in Chinese: How do L1 and L2 differ? Foreign Language Annals, 44(1), 122-135

Jin, L., & Cortazzi, M. (1998). The culture the learner brings: A bridge or a barrier? In M. Byram & M. Fleming (Eds.), Language learning in intercultural perspective: Approaches through drama and ethnography. ( pp. 98-118) Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.

Kim, E. Y. (2001). The yin and yang of American culture. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, Inc

Does anyone else have suggestions of resources?

Miriam