Math Training and Curriculum for ABE Teachers

Hi All: 

I am part of a team in West Virginia that is looking at how we can improve math instruction for our ABE students. This effort is born of the adoption of the College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education (CCR) and their incorporation into the new High School Equivalency (HSE) tests, which in our case is currently the TASC. I would be interested to know what you, your agency, your state, etc. is doing in any of the following areas: 

1. What are you doing to help teachers who are not proficient in math learn the math they need to know to help students pass the new HSE tests and  college entrance exams?   

2. What are you doing to help teachers improve math instruction? 

3. What are you doing to provide students with "transitional" math instruction - i.e. instruction that helps students pass college entrance exams and avoid taking so-called non-credit developmental math course(s)?

Thanks for your assistance. 

Jon Doherty 
SPOKES Instructor 
184 Lutz Avenue 
Martinsburg, WV 25404
edoherty@k12.wv.us
(304) 267-3366

Comments

Jon,

Thank you for your posting and question.  I hope someone from the field will speak on what they are doing in their program.  I know this is an issue that several programs nationally are struggling with.

Brooke

Good Afternoon everyone!

1. What are you doing to help teachers who are not proficient in math learn the math they need to know to help students pass the new HSE tests and  college entrance exams?   We help our teachers through professional development and just by working with other teachers who have taught math and GED math.

2. What are you doing to help teachers improve math instruction? We have constant reflection of all our programs through weekly staff meetings. We asses what is working, what can be improved, and how we can improve it.

3. What are you doing to provide students with "transitional" math instruction - i.e. instruction that helps students pass college entrance exams and avoid taking so-called non-credit developmental math course(s)? Right now we are focused on getting our students through the GED, but personally I have taught HS seniors and I battled this problem by having the students take practice entrance exams. I know several colleges and universities have them online and they can be printed or students can do them online. I don't have the numbers of how many of those seniors are in remedial courses now, but I think giving them practice is the best way.

I hope these answers give you some insight. I am more than happy to continue this dialogue as I feel its very important going forward.

-A. Prince

Jon,

With recent changes in HSE tests and introduction of CCRS, Minnesota ABE recognizes the need for teachers to brush up on higher level content knowledge as well as continue to improve math teaching practices.  Here are some of our key math professional development initiatives:

• Minnesota Numeracy Initiative (MNI) About 5 years ago, improving math instruction came up as a priority need for MN ABE professional development.  PD leaders at that time created a year-long cohort experience for teachers, knowing that the level of change needed could not happen through a few workshops.  That program is called the Minnesota Numeracy Initiative; it continues to thrive--we've got 19 teachers in the cohort this year.  In general, the experience involves completing 2 World Ed numeracy courses supported by a partner, 2 all day face-to-face meetings, and a webinar.  As an aside, some of the World Ed numeracy courses have been recently updated to include CCRS.
  • E-quip Math PD Series We are in Season 2 of this webinar series that was initially created to respond to teacher needs around the 2014 GED test.  The series is designed to address ABE math content knowledge and teaching strategies.  All are recorded and available for viewing.  The recorded webinars are also available on the MNABE PD YouTube channel .  This series has been great for reaching teachers in all corners of the state and providing flexible options like participating as teams of teachers or watching the recording when it fits individual schedules.
  • Math Institute Each fall we offer a full day event open to all teachers to inspire us and start off the school year with a clear focus. 

I hope this information is helpful!  I'm happy to share more about any of these programs if you are interested.

Amy Vickers MNI Senior Consultant Hamline University ATLAS Program

Hi Jon,

I am responding to your first question, "What are you doing to help teachers who are not proficient in math learn the math they need to know to help students pass the new HSE tests and  college entrance exams?"

I am an education and workforce consultant who is working with Kentucky Adult Education professional development and Morehead State University to improve teachers' capacity to teach math for the new HSE tests. Dr. Lynda Ginsburg and Brooke Istas are providing their subject matter expertise to the project to develop a series of facilitated online math professional development courses. The first two courses are: 1) Developing Mathematical Reasoning in Adults and 2) Getting Ready for the High School Equivalency Test: Teaching Algebra for Meaning.  The second course is in the pilot phase.  Both courses are designed to teach teachers the math they need to be able to address the CCRS addressed on the HSE tests as well as provide opportunities for supported practice in using methods and lessons they learn throughout the course. If you are interested in the outlines or more in-depth content information regarding the courses, I would be glad to share with you.

Hi Michelle,

We are currently working on creating online math professional development for our ABE instructors.  Having worked with Lynda and Brooke before, I would love to see the outlines and anything else created that you wouldn't mind sharing. How are you planning to offer the online courses?  We plan to use Canvas - but are still in the early stages of development.  Who will facilitate these courses? Would there be an opportunity for someone from out of state could sign up for these classes?

Thanks!

Sandy Crist

Hi Sandy,

For Kentucky, we are creating the courses in Kentucky's professional development LMS, but the content can be adapted for any state and LMS. The courses are designed to be facilitated and asynchronous with 4 modules over 8-weeks, comprised of 16-24 hours of course participant time.  For Kentucky, Lynda, Brooke and myself are facilitating the courses. I would love to talk with you more about what we are doing.  Feel free to contact me at michelle@carsonct.com or office phone: 785-409-1311.

This fall in my state of Vermont, we held an institute (two days) on the CCR Mathematics standards. It was for math teachers and their supervisors, based on a training curriculum that is available now.

We have found there to be challenges in the teaching & learning of adult numeracy at all levels. Yes, at the higher transitional levels, but also at the low levels. Since our skills at the foundational levels for teaching and learning math need to be strengthened, this approach makes sense.

To follow-on, this spring as a state we are launching the Adult Numeracy Instruction-- Professional Development program (ANI-PD), a training for ABE math teachers and their supervisors. We can do this now due to a partnership with our LINCS Regional PD Center, and will train for in-state capacity to repeat it in the future.

Kate Nicolet, Vermont Agency of Education, Adult Education and Literacy Professional Development, Barre, VT