Dogs and Disabilities

Hi group members,

This is a topic that is brand new to our discussions.  I hope that it generates interest and participation.  It is very personal to me which I will explain later.

As a lifelong dog lover, I had the experience of a lifetime going through a two-week training to get a service dog for my husband.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever done being away from home as a full-time caregiver and a 'student' at the same time.  Taking notes, concentrating on lectures, having daily quizzes all reminded me of being in graduate school.  When the actual dogs arrived, the excitement level increased - and the amount of work increased.

Dogs are trained and certified both as service dogs and therapy dogs, but despite the specific roles, they each prove to be so helpful to people with disabilities, illnesses, and other disadvantages.  I thought I would explain the terms to differentiate between them.

Service dogs are specifically trained to do work or perform tasks for a child or adult with a chronic health problem or with a disability.  The tasks performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability, such as pulling their partner in a manual wheelchair, opening drawers, pushing buttons for elevators or automatic doors, picking up objects from the floor, retrieving the phone, help with rising from a chair, and other physical tasks.   In addition to assisting with daily tasks, the dogs help to increase independence by reducing reliance on other people.  An assistance dog can be taught forty or more commands.

In my experience, I have know service dog owners who were diabetic, had epilepsy, Parkinson's, and visual and hearing impairments.

Service dogs have public access rights in public accommodations such as stores, restaurants, government buildings, airline travel, and hotels. These rights are included in the Fair Housing Act and the Air Carrier Act. Businesses are allowed to ask if the dog is required because of a disability and what work or task the dog is trained to perform.

Service dogs are required to behave appropriately in public. An owner may be asked to remove their service dog if the dog is not being controlled or if the dog poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.

Therapy dogs are pets who volunteer with their owner/handler in a variety of different places. Therapy dogs visit hospitals, health care and behavioral health facilities, shelters, schools, libraries, etc.  Therapy dogs are screened and evaluated by an organization that sets guidelines for appropriate behaviors while visiting.  They are observed in multiple different locations before they are given their 'papers' allowing them to be designated as a pet therapy dog.  

One major difference between therapy dogs and service dogs is that the former does not have public access rights. They must have permission to enter and visit.

Lastly, there is a category called Emotional support/comfort dogs.   Their role is to provide social support and company.  These dogs are important to people with certain anxiety disorders, depression, or other emotional issues. They provide comfort to their owner. They are not service dogs because they have not been trained to do a specific task or perform work for their owner.  They do not have public access rights. However, a note from a doctor can help with housing (the Fair Housing Act requires that there must be an identifiable relationship between the requested accommodation and the person’s disability) or air travel.

This week, my 5-year old golden retriever, BeeBee began as a pet therapy volunteer at our local hospital.  She and I both wore our volunteer badges with smiling pictures.   She behaved perfectly and enriched the lives of patients (and staff!) on 3 floors of the hospital.  She has been a pet therapy dog for more than 1 1/2 years and has worked in many different locations.

Do any of our group members have stories that they can share about dogs and how they improve the life of persons with disabilities?

I am really looking forward to reading your responses.

Thanks very much,

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Comments

Hi Rochelle and everyone,

I work in a public library as a literacy coordinator, which means I coordinate our volunteer adult reading program, thus the interest in this discussion list.  We use therapy dogs in the library youth services department for reluctant readers who wish to read to one of the therapy dogs.  It is amazing how long the children will read to their therapy dog!  I would like to try using therapy dogs with our adult learners.  Thank you for explaining all of the hard work that goes in to providing service, therapy, and companion dogs to assist people with disabilities.  I had no idea!

Lisa White, Amarillo Public Library

Hi Lisa,

I enjoyed reading your message.   Having a pet therapy program as part of your library's youth services department is a real benefit to your community.  Kudos to you and your library.

We have a "Read to a Dog" program in many libraries within my county's library system.  My BeeBee was involved this year.  Parents signed up their children in advance to secure a spot.   One month my library had 15 children and 10 different pet therapy dog breeds in attendance including my red golden retriever, a blond golden retriever, a goldendoodle, a bischon frise, a newfoundland, a cavalier king charles spaniel, a great dane, a poodle, and a few mixed breeds. The local newspaper sent a photographer to take pictures to accompany their article.  Our 'reluctant readers' were within the ages of 6 - 10.  Many brought their own books, but could also check out books that were available just for them.

I think your idea of using pet therapy with adult learners is a wonderful idea!!  Do any schools or libraries already offer pet therapy for adult learners?

Thanks so much for your participation, Lisa.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi all,

Great and fun discussion. Lisa, I would love to hear about your adult dog therapy/reading program if you start it. Particularly if you program does pre and post testing. (of the reader, lol) Therapy dogs have been used for years in a variety of setting to help change adult behavior and perceptions. I am thinking of rehabilitation of incarcerated adults and institutionalized youth. How many adult ed teachers are looking for similar behavioral changes in an ABE classroom? In some settings, the pairing of adult learners with significant difficulties and pets might be helpful in raising literacy rates.

Hi Rochelle,

It is amazing to see what service dogs and therapy dogs can do for people! (And I love Lisa's example about reading to dogs!)

My son used to go to a Saturday program for disabled kids and adults. Every few weeks they would have a group called Caring Canines come in to spend some time with the kids. The kids loved this, and it was a cool sight to see the large gym filled with dogs and kids interacting!

Here's another story. In the summers my family likes to hike up Mount Major, which takes a few hours. My son is cognitively disabled but can walk fine. But it's really hard to have him join us on a long hike, because he doesn't always follow us and keep going, even though he can. He's non-verbal, so we can't talk him into it. One time, we started out, hoping he would go at least part way. We were hiking along with a newly trained therapy dog and her people. My son was so mesmerized by this dog that he followed right behind her and hiked up the whole mountain! 

Hi Julie,

I appreciate your link to Caring Canines.   My local group is  Space Coast Therapy Dogs  and the national group is Therapy Dogs International .

Therapy Dogs International (TDI®) is a volunteer organization dedicated to regulating, testing and registration of therapy dogs and their volunteer handlers for the purpose of visiting nursing homes, hospitals, other institutions and wherever else therapy dogs are needed.

I loved your personal story about your son walking up Mount Major.  That is such a huge accomplishment for him!!  Way to go......

Thanks for sharing, Julie.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi Everyone,

Rochelle, thanks so much for this wonderful discussion post! Your explanation of the differences between service and therapy dogs was very informative. Pet therapy is such a fantastic, yet seemingly underused resource. I have a good friend who takes their Great Pyrenees to the VA Hospital (one of very few who have been approved) and she can tell stories for hours as to the impact this has on the vets in the hospital. Many who have withdrawn and have little contact with people will pet and communicate with the dog and it is wonderful. She also did Pet Reading Therapy with another of their pyrs at one of the local elementary schools and it too was extremely successful. As a fellow pet lover, I am looking very forward to participating in some form of dog therapy once I retire. I worked very closely as a volunteer for a number of years with our local therapeutic horseback riding program and witnessed many absolute miracles with both children and adults with disabilities who participated.

I am very anxious to hear from others about their experiences. What a joy to be able to share the unconditional love that animals so generously give with  those who are so in need.

Thanks, Rochelle.

Diane Long

Hi Diane,

So good to hear from you, Diane.  You mentioned something I had not considered.  We have a VA Outpatient Clinic in our community where my husband receives services, yet I never thought of volunteering with BeeBee at a VA Hospital.  What a good idea!

You mentioned the dog breed Great Pyrenees (Pyrs).  I wonder how many of our members have heard of that breed or can recognize them.  In your next message, will you include a picture, please?

Lastly, you mentioned volunteering for a local therapeutic horseback riding program.  That is another example of an animal providing services to children and adults with disabilities.  Will you please tell you more about that experience?

Thanks so much for joining in on this interesting discussion.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi group members,

I just read an article that fits well into this discussion thread., You can read it in full at   http://wesleyanargus.com/2014/11/06/assistance-animals-article/       It is about Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college in Middletown, Connecticut.  They have a university-wide policy that specifies no pets are allowed in student housing except for fish in a tank.

However, for students with documented disabilities, there is a strict process in place for them to request a "pet assistance" animal as an accommodation.  They must meet criteria to qualify them as a person with a disability.  They have to prove that acquiring an assistance animal will be a support mechanism for their disability.  Approved and registered assistance animals have included cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, and ferrets.

Does anyone know of a college student that is benefiting from this accommodation at Wesleyan or any other university?

Comments are always most welcome!

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi group members,

I taped a TV program for my husband last night that he enjoyed.  It is on a topic that fits perfectly into this discussion thread.  "Dogs of War" is a program on the A & E network.  It is a one-hour series that explores the work of a nonprofit organization called Paws and Stripes, which was founded by an Iraq War veteran and his wife after they saw how much a service dog could improve his own struggle with PTSD.  Through grants and donations, the couple has since devoted themselves to making service dogs available to vets.  It shows how the veterans visit shelters trying to find 'love at first glance" from a previously unwanted dog.  The bonding and training process and integration into home life are all displayed for the two veterans that are highlighted during each episode.

For dog lovers - and for those who appreciate what our military servicemen accomplish for our country, I can recommend this program.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hello group users,

I just read an article in The Province that fits beautifully into this discussion strand.  It describes a family living in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada, near Vancouver.  It highlights Pepe, a chocolate Labrador retriever, who has been a support dog for 5 years for a 13-year-old girl with autism.   The article explained how their bond has dramatically improved the girl’s life, and enhanced the family's view of their future.

As a very young, non-verbal child, the girl continuously ran away from home and got into dangerous situations.  Keeping her safe with a trained companion was the family's goal.  There solution was a support dog bred, raised, and trained by the British Columbia Guide Dogs.  A quote by their trainer stated “We need a big dog, obviously. They’re people-oriented. They’re willing to work. They’re friendly and they’re calm. After basic obedience, they go into advanced training at about 15 months.  Puppies board in volunteer households. We’re like a foster family,” said puppy-raiser... “And we take them through basic obedience training.”   Training takes about 100 hours over 20 weeks and advanced trainer Nick Toni said the regimen is a combination of navigating busy urban centres and using public transit.  The dogs must also develop a spatial sense to ensure their eventual owners aren’t endangered by obstacles that the dogs could pass under but a person would collide with, such as branches or low-hanging signs."

To read the entire article, go to http://www.theprovince.com/life/Pepe+autism+support+dramatically+improves+life+White/10682748/story.html >

Does anyone know of a trained support dog working with a person that has a disability?  If so, please share with us.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Hi all,

Depending on a a child or adult’s placement on the autism spectrum, life can be a challenge.  The decision for someone with autism, or any disability in general, to have a pet could be another challenge because of the extra responsibility.  However, there is research that shows how pets can be a huge advantage.  It is not clear how pets help people with autism develop better social skills, but Gretchen Carlisle from the University of Missouri found some interesting conclusions.  When a pet was in the family, social skills were improved.  The biggest social skills improvement involved small dogs, but not when it was the first time for pet ownership.

Bringing a dog into any family is a big step, but for families of children with autism, getting a dog should be a decision that’s taken very seriously,” ... Children with autism spectrum disorders often struggle with interacting with others, which can make it difficult for them to form friendships...Carlisle said. “If a child with autism is sensitive to loud noises, choosing a dog that is likely to bark will not provide the best match for the child and the family. If the child has touch sensitivities, perhaps a dog with a softer coat, such as a poodle, would be better than a dog with a wiry or rough coat, such as a terrier.”

After reading this, I wonder whether schools use dogs in classrooms with children or adults that have disabilities.  My pet therapy dog, BeeBee, that I have already told you about, has been to special education classrooms in several schools.  We have been in classes of autistic and intellectually challenged elementary, middle, and adult education students.  We have done reading groups, show & tell about their own pets, and just petting times.  They have all been so enjoyable.

Do any of you know of a handler and a dog that routinely visit classrooms?

Thanks,

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

One of the dogs in TDAWG, Shaka, is deaf.  He is a service dog for a blind little girl with autism.  It is AMAZING to see the relationship between the two.  A deaf dog leading around a blind little girl.  Shaka lets Oli use him to pull herself up and he treats her like she's his QUEEN. He is the most patient, loving service dog I've ever witnessed.  Unfortunately, because he is Staffordshire Terrier (aka Pit Bull), the family actually had to move!  Even though he is a certified service dog, the landlords wouldn't let him live in the house.  But that's a soapbox for a different day.   

Anyway, at the elementary school where my adult classes used to be housed, they had service dogs come in every week to help children learn to read.  It was such a neat experience to see how the children opened up to read to the dogs.  (They were BIG dogs, too.  As big as the kiddos!)  When I had my own school, I brought my Chihuahua mix to work every day and the students really interacted well with her.  Of course, she is now a bilingual dog (she knows commands in both languages), but it was still a normalizing effect for the "classroom."  (I tried to make it as "un-class-like" as I could for this particular class.) 

Peace,
Glenda

Hi again Glenda,

Thanks for posting another message.  As you can see, we have discussed many different sub-topics related to dogs and disabilities.   I am not at all familiar with service dogs having a disability themselves.  From my experience, they are usually retired when they develop problems.

In an earlier message above, I recounted my experience in the "Read to a Dog" program at the local library with my therapy dog, BeeBee.  We had 15 young children and anywhere from 3 to 11 therapy dog teams each time.  BeeBee and the other therapy dogs looked intently at each of the emerging readers giving them encouragement and wagging their tails.  For those who have not experienced this, you could check your library system to see if it is offered near you.  It is quite remarkable.

A Binlingual dog.... now that is the first time I have heard those two words used together.  Please.............. tell us more about that.

Thanks for participating in this strand.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

You are absolutely correct that most service dogs are retired when they start having disabilities - arthritis, going deaf, or going blind.  But those are mostly problems also associated with aging, so that would be a good time to retire a service dog.  Young dogs with "different abilities" are another story.  They don't know they are deaf, or blind, or deaf-and-blind.  They can be trained with minor accommodations to do almost everything a "normal" dog can.    In fact, our group has been one of the advocates for deaf dogs being allowed in formal agility contests.  (They haven't let the blind-and-deaf dogs in yet.)  We just got approval to test our dogs for the Canine Good Citizens test, which half our group passed with flying colors.  Libby did not, but she was just two points short.  We'll get it next time.  And the behaviorist can certify service dogs, so having proven that he was able to do the service required, she certified Shaka.  His hearing is not a requirement for the service he is providing.

I hope that clears things up for you. 

Peace,
Glenda

Sure, Rochelle.

An evaluator observes your dog through a series of tests that shows that the dog is well-trained and can get along well in different settings.  For the test Libby just took she was:

1) Approached by a stranger without lunging or backing away from the stranger.

2) Brushed by a stranger.  (She did not pass this part.  She did not like that the brush smelled of other dogs.)

3 ) Walked on a "loose lead" - usually at the "heel" position. 

4) Walked past an unfamiliar dog.

5) Walked through a crowd.

6) Stayed calm and alert to me with distraction (In her case, there were wheelchairs bouncing around and people making lots of big movements - adaptation for the "deaf" dog test). 

6) Sat, Stayed, and Recalled on command.

7) Showed no distress when separated from her owner.  (She "Failed" this because she whined, but she was whining because she was bored, not anxious.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get her past this one.) 

Here's the link from the American Kennel Club for the official test information: http://www.akc.org/dog-owners/training/canine-good-citizen/training-testing/ 

The discussion around prohibiting "differently-abled" dogs from taking the test was that they could not respond to the distractions test like a hearing and sighted dog, which was nonsense.  Even blind-and-deaf dogs have noses and can feel vibrations.  They can easily become distracted or dog-reactive.  (Libby is a little dog reactive, but doesn't usually show it when she's "working.")  Once we proved that they have NO UNFAIR ADVANTAGE (smirk), we could make the argument for them to take the test.

Peace,
Glenda

Hello all,

I am cross posting a message from Glenda that fits well in this strand.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME

Every time I have seen you point out the term DISability, I have to smile.  One of my dogs was born deaf and attends a special training class called TDAWG - Texas Differently-Abled Work Group - that is especially for deaf, blind, deaf-and-blind, and otherwise physically challenged canines.  The animal behaviorist who runs the group refuses to call the dogs "disabled."  They are pretty amazing.  We use scents for the blind dogs and sign language and other visual cues for the deaf dogs.  The focus is on what they CAN do rather than on what they can't.

Maybe it's just because I'm an animal lover, but I can definitely see a correlation for "differently-abled" English language students.  Just to be clear, I am not comparing teaching adults to training dogs.  But, as you pointed out, we do need to find out what the limitations are (and maybe why they are there) and then find a way to work through or around those limitations using the strengths the student already has. 

Peace, 
Glenda

PS: Here's a picture of me and Libby during TDAWG.  She's demonstrating her long-stay command. Then the TDAWG logo with "Charlie," who was born blind and deaf, running the agility course (hurdles and dog walk). 

Hi,

BeeBee, my therapy dog, and I have been volunteering at the local hospital every two weeks for almost 4 months.  She has quickly developed an effective routine.  She reports in to the volunteers at the reception desk and shows her picture ID.  She trots to the correct elevator when the door opens and goes in the right direction when we get off the elevator.  When we enter each hospital room and a patient reaches a hand out to her, she puts her head down directly under the hand and lowers her head.  She stays in the same position (the longest time was 20 minutes) until the patient removes his/her hand.  She looks at me and moves on to the next room.  We do this on 3 medical floors and every room that is not in isolation.  She enters each waiting room without being led there and does the same routine with every family member waiting for news,  On each visit, I am amazed that she has the poise, grace, and temperament to handle this important job.

Recently, because of the positive word-of-mouth comments she has received from other hospital departments, BeeBee was invited to begin working in the locked behavioral unit.  She handled it beautifully as before and we now include that in our monthly schedule.

Rochelle Kenyon, SME