Standardized Tests for English Language Learners

Hello colleagues, I want to invite a discussion about the standardized tests adult education programs across the country are using with English language learners. How is the test (or tests) you are using working for you for different levels of learners. For instance, how are they working for learners at the literacy level, especially for learners with limited formal schooling? How are the tests working with English learners who have recently transitioned to the Adult Basic Education level? Do you see any interesting patterns in learning gains based on learners' levels? As you see it, what are the pros and cons of your testing instruments? What lessons learned can you pass along to your colleagues? Do you have burning questions?

Looking forward to hearing some words of wisdom on this issue!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Assessment & AELL CoPs

Comments

Teachers have helped students identify their beliefs about how they learn. 

Teachers have given assignments assignments that allow students to collaborate and build a class community.

Teachers have given students assignments that are valuable and that they can relate to. 

I'm teaching english levels 3 and 4 which are similar to third and fourth grade reading levels. I notice students who read and comprehend well score higher on tests. Some students are better verbally but this does not help them on the tests which are reading only.

I'm teaching english levels 3 and 4 which are similar to third and fourth grade reading levels. I notice students who read and comprehend well score higher on tests. Some students are better verbally but this does not help them on the tests which are reading only.

One strategy Amy used that I thought was effective was in the way she reinforced the emphasis on content words within a sentence.  In ESL classes, it is common to teach sentence level stress in order to be understood in speaking.  However, Amy had her students use their bodies to crouch down when they read a function word, and stand tall with their hands up when they read a content word.  I have not seen this approach before.  I've used things like opening our hands and making a fist, depending on sentence level stress.  Or even using rubber bands to illustrate word stress.  However, in this adult literacy situation, I can see the value that body movement would have on not only engaging the learners, but creating a method by which they can remember a stress pattern.  Way to go!

We have a challenging time getting students to complete the GED requirements. There are many barriers to learning and we grapple with all of them...child care, absentee issues, Covid, transportation, etc. There are not tons of resources to help with the external issues, however students are constantly encouraged to continue. There are some tools, like the phone tree, that I plan to implement, but it will be by permission only.

Teachers in my program work together to boost learners motivation and persistence through rewarding students for attendance and academic growth. Each class weekly has a ticket pulling for good attendance and academic performance to receive a prize.

Teachers in my program work together to boost learners motivation and persistence through rewarding students for attendance and academic growth. Each class weekly has a ticket pulling for good attendance and academic performance to receive a prize.

Being a military instructor and going through this course has really confirmed that we have used the majority of what was in this course.  In particular, we are always collaborating with the other commands and making the appropriate updates as they change (which is quite often in the subject we teach).  Additionally we continue motivating our students to do what is right and not follow what has "always" been done in the past.  The by the book approach ensures all of us are discussing the needs of the service, and providing feedback to the higher-ups.  This allows those  changes to be implemented in a timely manner.  I just never knew that this course ever existed until I was referred by a co-worker.

Attendance has always been an issue and I fully understand.  I tell the students up front how important it is for me to have them come to class as much as they can. I can't do my job unless they come to class.  The more or longer they are in my class the faster they can find success and move on in their lives.  I don't punish them if they are not able to come to class but I tell them they missed out on a lot of learning and fun! We also have an online homework program they can work on at home that I check on every week.  It is not uncommon for me to phone or email them to see how things are going.  I always make them welcome when they return and we start where we left off

Attendance has always been an issue and I fully understand.  I tell the students up front how important it is for me to have them come to class as much as they can. I can't do my job unless they come to class.  The more or longer they are in my class the faster they can find success and move on in their lives.  I don't punish them if they are not able to come to class but I tell them they missed out on a lot of learning and fun! We also have an online homework program they can work on at home that I check on every week.  It is not uncommon for me to phone or email them to see how things are going.  I always make them welcome when they return and we start where we left off

Q. What moments in the videotaped class do you think demonstrates effective instructions.

Ans. In my opinion the entire videotaped class demonstrates effective instruction which helped students acquire, retain, and transfer new literacy skills in a fun manner. The class generated story, linked with real life scenario, which  demonstrates an effective instructional strategy. The instructor Andrea used the language experience approach, where they had a common experience of visiting a hardware store. While they were visiting the store, the instructor took pictures of the real-life scenario. She printed the pictures and then discussed with the whole class, what they saw in the pictures, what did they do etc. It was impressive to see how impactful this kind of learning strategy was. With the help of the pictures and the vocabulary which the students had learned in the class previously, they could develop a whole story, this is an example of effective instruction.  Andrea did a lot of work with vocabulary development by helping the students pronounce the words correctly, read sentences from the story, recognizing the word order to make one complete sentence. Recognizing sight words and seeing which one of the two students recognizes the word first and hits with the fly smacker was a fun activity and it engaged the whole class. This was a very effective instructional strategy.

In my class, getting to know students and then using elements of their lives to explain and reframe information to their understanding has been both relevant and welcoming. It has allowed them to become a part of their learning process. I encourage them to show up by reminding them of their "Why." That helps on the tough days.

• As you watch, think about the following: How does Andrea help the learners acquire, retain, and apply new literacy skills?

The learners in Andrea's class were acquiring language by using a shared experience where they went the hardware store nearby and then spent time over the subsequent days revisiting what they did, what they saw, who they talked to, what they bought, and how these things might help them with current problems in their lives. When they saw the pictures from their field trip, they had context for the question, and they were able to practice reading and writing the vocabulary and work on sentence structure by revisiting the same vocabulary with multiple activities using scaffolding. Andrea used movement in the classroom as well as group activities to help the adult learners stay engaged. I was able to observe the students helping one another as they were flipping through their notebooks, and when two students were doing the flyswatter game, the other students were giving verbal directions to help. This helped engage students who might not volunteer to go to the front of the room. 

• Think about how you might do this in your own classroom.

I most recently was in an adult ESL classroom for intermediate students and did a similar shared experience activity making a charcuterie board and used pictures from that experience it for the next several lessons as well, not only talking about the food vocabulary but also positional words, adverbs of place (not just for the food on the board but also the people and objects in the room in our photographs), discussion of food preferences and intolerances/allergies, common foods for different celebrations around the world, etc. Next semester, I will be teaching beginner and advanced students and am thinking of how to use a similar activity but with adjustments for the two different levels. 

• Thinking about the ESL lesson example you observed in the video, which principles do you think were best demonstrated? 

From the 14 principles, I felt that Andrea used these effectively:

1. Present material in a clear and organized format.
  2. Use multiple and varied examples and formats.
  3. Space presentations of new material across time.
  4. Learning is enhanced by opportunities to practice and use skills for a purpose.

I especially appreciated how she used her activity and vocabulary to help the adult learners be able to actively improve their living situation by having more tools in hand to address their current problems with their housing managers/landlords.

In the Unit 1 PowerPoint presentations, Rob Jenkins and Maricel Santos provide many concrete examples of what the key principles look like in daily classroom practice.

• Which of the strategies that they shared stand out for you? 

I appreciated hearing Rob, especially, as he discussed some of the problems that the original teacher, Amy, had with her classroom and how rather than blaming the adult learners for not paying attention, how she could review the curriculum to make sure she had realistic expectations for her students and to adjust her own teaching style to meet the needs of those in her classroom. 

• Which, in your experience, are the most difficult principles to implement? Why? 

When students are very new to developing their English skills, I find it more difficult to implement the meta-cognition and self-directed learning as they are more dependent on the instructor and, depending on where/how they first started to acquire English, might rely on only repeating what they hear rather than grasping that they need to answer a question. I find it easier to teach learning strategies to students who have some foundational vocabulary, such as my intermediate class last semester, and will need to personally grow these skills in new directions as I'm taking on beginner and advanced classes in the next semester.

Students working in groups and helping each other master concepts helps to develop camraderie and persistence.  Letting students know that errors are part of the learning process and not a sign of ineffectiveness on their part helps to build student confidence and persistence

I think instilling the value and helping students establish a strong self-efficacy is incredibly important with adult learners.  Unlike children, they are more intrinsically than extrinsically motivated.  That being said, encouragement, praise are useful for them as well.  They definitely need helpful, intentional feedback that they can apply, along with appropriate goals for their level, especially if they are in a multi-level class and may feel "left behind" if they are around others functioning at a higher level.

Setting appropriate goals

Offering Positive feedback

Assisting learners in managing errors

Reframing explanations in ways that motivate persistence

Finding value

Encouraging collaboration and cooperation

Overcoming systemic barriers to persistence

Addressing negative effects of stereotypes

I notice my students do great in class where it is a more relaxed atmosphere and they can get a lot of practice speaking with each other and putting the skills we are learning in class to use, but they get very nervous when it comes to taking the advancement test and they often feel as if they did not do as well as they should have. Their progress in class does not seem to match what they feel their test progress should be.