ONLINE COURSE: Learning to Achieve Accommodations Discussion Thread

This thread is intended to provide a place for users who have completed the Learning to Achieve: Accommodations course with a space to reflect on the course content. The course content was updated in early 2019 and will be made available in spring 2019. Please stay tuned for the launch of the updated course. 

We hope you enjoyed the Learning to Achieve: Accommodations course. Please use this thread to share:

Of all the concepts and ideas discussed in this course:

• Which were new to you?
  • Which ideas stood out as most important for you and your practice in supporting adults with LD in your classroom?
  • What are some specific strategies from this course that you feel you can readily incorporate to help your adult students with LD?

What other strategies or resources have you used in providing accommodations for your adult students with LD, and how effective were they?

Comments

I find that adult learners are more reluctant to ask for accommodation than younger learners. I think that it is important for the instructor to form a relationship with the student in order to gain additional knowledge about their learning needs. One thing that we do not think of as an accommodation many times, is that a paper-based test, maybe an accommodation for a student. Many of our older students are not computer literate or confident enough to test digitally.

a. The the concepts that were new to me were the detailed explanation of LD and the actual "whats" and "whys" of the disability. Many times we provide accommodations/materials for our students because that is what we are instructed to do but the full disclosure of background, details, and relationship of why we are doing it is not truly explained. 

b. The idea that stood out as most important, for my practice in supporting adults with LD in my classroom, is that of self-determination. The concept of helping students find and grow that self-determination will allow them to foster a stronger growth mentality and stronger will to succeed. 

c. The one specific strategy I am ready to incorporate to help my adult LD students is that of active monitoring of those students. Through accessing their needs constantly, I will be able to find out which accommodations suit them to their specific needs (i.e. change of read aloud presentation, change of way the instruction is presented).  This not only allow me to help pinpoint their true weaknesses but will also allow me to foster their strengths. 

I actually learned a lot from this training. I knew about disabilities and that there were accommodations out there but it was interesting to learn about all the various accommodations available. It was interesting to also read the information about the steps to access accommodations. I am excited to see how I can encourage the distance learning company I work for to incorporate more accommodations for students into our program.

As a previous public school teacher and now an adult education instructor, I see that accommodations for both age groups are necessary. In order to successfully reach the student it is important to evaluate the student individually and in a group setting to gain knowledge of the students learning style. It is important to use all learning styles inside your classroom to benefit not only the LD student, but the regular education students.

Universal Design is a reminder of how curriculum can be presented in ways to meet all learning styles.  Time prevents our program from doing every learning style every day.  However, reminding ourselves that we need to meet all learning styles is a way to be more creative (interesting) in our presentations.  

Universal Design of setting and presentation tools helps all those who might not have yet disclosed their learning needs.

Universal Design has an appeal for use in the adult learner classroom. Students regardless of ability could benefit and utilize tools or functions that best serve their learning styles. However, for some students not comfortable with sharing LD it would help them in the short term but not develop the need for self-disclosure or advocacy. Accommodations are important and many of our adult students don't utilize them enough. 

I am a fairly new ABE instructor.  I have dealt with LD and other disabilities with elementary, middle, and high school aged students for many years.  I can see that many of my students now could have benefitted early on from some accomodations and extra help.. If they had the help early on, they might not be with me trying to get a GED.

I have heard about all of these accommodations in the past one way or another but not as fully covered as this course. I'm a TABE tester and we have a list of the different accommodations which can be used for testing. During regular teaching sessions, however, I've not used accommodations as frequently as I could have. I can see where things like reading a text while students follow along, or allowing extra time for in-class work to be completed can be profitable for a student's interest and motivation. I plan to use accommodations as often as I can in my classes this fall. Thank you all for hosting classes that are meaningful!

Coming from elementary education to adult education it is interesting to see the same struggles children have still prevalent in adult learners. I am most familiar with setting and scheduling accommodations as giving students more time on assignments and other testing locations is common in elementary education.  Something new that I would like to utilize more would be e-text and speech to text software. 

This was quite interesting, especially that students are encouraged to be their own advocate in order to be successful. I believe using Universal Design will help all learners in education, as well as society as a whole. 

I am new to adult education but have experience teaching younger children, including those with LD. Sadly, only a few "qualified" for services, however I did use many of the suggestions that were shared. There were a few that I were unfamiliar with and will find helpful with those that I work with. It is helpful to learn about different approaches to follow that may be helpful for others to achieve their goals.

While most of the content is common sense, this is the first LD training I've had so it is all new.  I anticipate learning ways to assist my SNAP E&T participants through better intake assessments.

This may be a repeat of what I submitted earlier, but I don't see my comment, so here goes. A new concept that was of use to me is the idea of testing ELL students for LD through rigorous evaluation conducted by a bilingual professional. But I also fear that such may not always be an option at AACC, given our small staff. A strategy that I have always known but that bares repeating is that of teaching from multiple approaches to cover a variety of learning styles. A new strategy I might try is to allow the students who have trouble reading the use of sticky notes to mark their place as they work through a question/essay.